Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Help with converting a block of cells with Absolute and mixed references to relative references

Hoping that someone can offer some advice on this....

I'm creating a complex excel sheets with lots of relative, mixed, and
absolute references. Once I'm done, I'd like to copy a block within the
sheet to create a new block. The trouble is that all the absolute
references within the block are pointing to reference within the old block.
I can fix them manually, but I want to copy the block several times, and
it's a lot of work to change each one

What I'd like to to do is, once things are as I want them, convert all of
the Absolute references in the completed block to relative so that when I
past a new block, the addressing will be correct. One trick I've found is
that I can convert cells formulas from Absolute to relative one by one using
the F4 key, but that's not ideal either (although, it's easier than editing
each cell). Anyone know if there is a way to convert a block of cells to
relative mode in one shot? Thanks for any advice.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Don't have 2007 but these should work.

Sounds like you need the last one for all rleative.

Sub Absolute()
Dim Cell As Range
For Each Cell In Selection
If Cell.HasFormula Then
Cell.Formula = Application.ConvertFormula _
(Cell.Formula, xlA1, xlA1, xlAbsolute)
End If
Next
End Sub

Sub AbsoluteRow()
Dim Cell As Range
For Each Cell In Selection
If Cell.HasFormula Then
Cell.Formula = Application.ConvertFormula _
(Cell.Formula, xlA1, xlA1, xlAbsRowRelColumn)
Next
End Sub

Sub AbsoluteCol()
Dim Cell As Range
For Each Cell In Selection
If Cell.HasFormula Then
Cell.Formula = Application.ConvertFormula _
(Cell.Formula, xlA1, xlA1, xlRelRowAbsColumn)
Next
End Sub

Sub Relative()
Dim Cell As Range
For Each Cell In Selection
If Cell.HasFormula Then
Cell.Formula = Application.ConvertFormula _
(Cell.Formula, xlA1, xlA1, xlRelative)
Next
End Sub

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

"Vulcan" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

One way you could do it is to highlight the cells you want to change
and then use Edit | Replace (or CTRL-H) to:

Find What: $
Replace With: leave blank
click Replace All

I don't have XL2007, so the menu options might be a bit different.

Hope this helps.

Pete

"Vulcan" wrote in message

[...]

cells to relative mode in one shot? Thanks for any advice.- Hide quoted text -