Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Conditional Formating

I'm trying to set the format for a group of cells based on the value of
another cell - lets say A1

my formula is =$A$1 = "F" format 00.0000 applies to $D$1:$E$2 and
=$A$1 < "F" format 00.00% applies to $D$1:$E$2

when i set the formual with A1 = "F" and change it the cells change to % but
when I change A1 back to "F" the cells do not change.

What have i missed.

Jack
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hmmm...

While testing this I experienced some really "messed up stuff" (we usually
call them BUGS)!

It works the way you want if...

You enter this condition first: =$A$1 < "F" and enter this condition 2nd:
=$A$1 = "F"

Or, set a default format of 00.00% and then just use a single conditonal
formatting rule of =$A$1 = "F"

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Jack" wrote in message
I'm trying to set the format for a group of cells based on the value of
another cell - lets say A1

my formula is =$A$1 = "F" format 00.0000 applies to $D$1:$E$2 and
=$A$1 < "F" format 00.00% applies to $D$1:$E$2

when i set the formual with A1 = "F" and change it the cells change to %
but
when I change A1 back to "F" the cells do not change.

What have i missed.

Jack

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Biff

i tried it both ways and could not get the number format to switch. I could
get the color and fill color to change but not the format. I also tried
setting the default format but no luck

Jack

"Jack" wrote in message
I'm trying to set the format for a group of cells based on the value of
another cell - lets say A1

my formula is =$A$1 = "F" format 00.0000 applies to $D$1:$E$2 and
=$A$1 < "F" format 00.00% applies to $D$1:$E$2

when i set the formual with A1 = "F" and change it the cells change to %
but
when I change A1 back to "F" the cells do not change.

What have i missed.

Jack

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

While testing this I experienced some really "messed up stuff" (we usually
call them BUGS)!

I may have spoken too soon on the "bug" issue!

Upon further testing this may be related to an *inadequate* video display
card.

I've experienced this before on my home machine using Excel 2002. It's only
happened 2 times that I can remember and it only happened when trying to set
conditional formatting. The cause is the video card doesn't/can't refresh
fast enough and it leads one to believe that there's a problem with
conditional formatting itself.

If I scroll so the the formatted cells are no longer on screen and then
scroll back the conditional formatting is "magically" applied!

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Jack" wrote in message
I'm trying to set the format for a group of cells based on the value of
another cell - lets say A1

my formula is =$A$1 = "F" format 00.0000 applies to $D$1:$E$2 and
=$A$1 < "F" format 00.00% applies to $D$1:$E$2

when i set the formual with A1 = "F" and change it the cells change to %
but
when I change A1 back to "F" the cells do not change.

What have i missed.

Jack

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You are using Excel 2007 aren't you?

You can only set conditional number formats in Excel 2007.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

%
but
when I change A1 back to "F" the cells do not change.

What have i missed.

Jack

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I'm using 2007
I got it to work on a new spreadsheet. Must be something else going on with
my original.

Thanks for your help

jack