Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Cell Color Formating

How can I format spreadsheet cells to change color if values don't match?
For instance, if the text value A455 doesn't equal the text value of B455,
the B455 will automatically highlight to a predetermined color. Also, at
another predetermined cell, I would like the count of the cells which were
unequalled.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You'll want to use Format-Conditional Format for the first part.

Select your first cell (B455), go to Conditional format, set it so that when
cell value is not equal to
=A455
Then format pattern to something easily visible (red?)
Copy this cell then, select your other cells, right-click, paste
special-format only

For the count of non-matches:
=SUMPRODUCT((A455:A1000<B455:B1000)*1)
--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"RoddyRod" wrote:

How can I format spreadsheet cells to change color if values don't match?
For instance, if the text value A455 doesn't equal the text value of B455,
the B455 will automatically highlight to a predetermined color. Also, at
another predetermined cell, I would like the count of the cells which were
unequalled.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Dec 22, 7:51*am, RoddyRod
wrote:
How can I format spreadsheet cells to change color if values don't match? *
For instance, if the text value A455 doesn't equal the text value of B455,
the B455 will automatically highlight to a predetermined color. *Also, at
another predetermined cell, I would like the count of the cells which were
unequalled. *

Rod,
Go to conditional formatting byFirst selectign the cell that you want
to format/ Format/Conditional Format. Chose Formuls is instead of
Cell is. Then put in =A455<B455. then put in the formats that you
want to include.
Jay
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Luke, the last part of the formatting I did get, but the first part I could
not understand nor get it to perform. I tried the IF(logical_test, value_if
true, value_if_false), but had not luck.

"RoddyRod" wrote:

How can I format spreadsheet cells to change color if values don't match?
For instance, if the text value A455 doesn't equal the text value of B455,
the B455 will automatically highlight to a predetermined color. Also, at
another predetermined cell, I would like the count of the cells which were
unequalled.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you for the help, but I did not understand the first part of the
equation. I understand how to get the count but, I still cannot figure out
how to have the program automatically highlight the cell when there is a
difference.

"jlclyde" wrote:

On Dec 22, 7:51 am, RoddyRod
wrote:
How can I format spreadsheet cells to change color if values don't match?
For instance, if the text value A455 doesn't equal the text value of B455,
the B455 will automatically highlight to a predetermined color. Also, at
another predetermined cell, I would like the count of the cells which were
unequalled.

Rod,
Go to conditional formatting byFirst selectign the cell that you want
to format/ Format/Conditional Format. Chose Formuls is instead of
Cell is. Then put in =A455<B455. then put in the formats that you
want to include.
Jay

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

First part of formatting:
Select cell B455
From menu bar, Format-Conditional Format
First box, select "Cell value is"
Second box, select "Not equal to"
third box, type "=A455"

Click format, got to pattern, pick color (red). OK, Ok. Format should be
set. You can now copy that cells formatting to the other cells.
--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"RoddyRod" wrote:

How can I format spreadsheet cells to change color if values don't match?
For instance, if the text value A455 doesn't equal the text value of B455,
the B455 will automatically highlight to a predetermined color. Also, at
another predetermined cell, I would like the count of the cells which were
unequalled.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you for working with me...however I'm just not getting it.

Although I have substituted the actual cell assignments when speaking with
you, I have applied the data with the actual information on my sheet as it
relates to your example.

I really wnat to try once more; therefore here is hopefully simplified.
-cell A455 contains a text value of RODNEY
-cell B455 contains a text value of ROD
-since these values are not the same, I want the FILL for cell B455 to
highlight (Red?)

Under the TAB for "HOME", I went to the conditional formating button but
found no "Cell value is" button or guidance. Everything went down hill from
there...and I have truly been atting several different conditional attempts.

Again thanks.

"Luke M" wrote:

First part of formatting:
Select cell B455