PeterM

Default How can I copy from 1 cell to 30 others

I'm trying to make a loan payback schedule for my daughter, and I'm having a
few problems. She asked me to show her what the principal is, the payment,
the interest payments (2% she insisted) and other info she requested. I
thought I can copy and paste the formula from one completed cell to let's
say 36 others. The cut and paste works only from one cell to another, not
from one cell to several below each other. Can someone please help me with
this? I also can't figure out how to make a date go from one date to let's
say 36 month into the future. I'm using Excel 2003. Many many
thanks.............Peter

Fredrik Wahlgren

"PeterM" wrote in message
I'm trying to make a loan payback schedule for my daughter, and I'm having

few problems. She asked me to show her what the principal is, the payment,
the interest payments (2% she insisted) and other info she requested. I
thought I can copy and paste the formula from one completed cell to let's
say 36 others. The cut and paste works only from one cell to another, not
from one cell to several below each other. Can someone please help me with
this? I also can't figure out how to make a date go from one date to let's
say 36 month into the future. I'm using Excel 2003. Many many
thanks.............Peter

You can use Drag & Fill instead.
http://www.designcad.com.au/support/.../Drag-Fill.htm

/Fredrik

Ragdyer

There's a little black square in the lower right corner of a "selected"
cell.
This is called the "fill handle".

Select the cell containing the formula.
Hover the cursor over the fill handle until the cursor changes from a fat
white cross to a skinny black cross.
Then, click and drag down to copy the formula down the column as far as
needed.

Before you do this, you should be familiar with absolute and relative cell
references.
As you drag (copy) down, the cell references in the formula will change if
they are relative, and remain the same if they are absolute.

Check this out in the Help files.
--
HTH,

RD

"PeterM" wrote in message
I'm trying to make a loan payback schedule for my daughter, and I'm having

few problems. She asked me to show her what the principal is, the payment,
the interest payments (2% she insisted) and other info she requested. I
thought I can copy and paste the formula from one completed cell to let's
say 36 others. The cut and paste works only from one cell to another, not
from one cell to several below each other. Can someone please help me with
this? I also can't figure out how to make a date go from one date to let's
say 36 month into the future. I'm using Excel 2003. Many many
thanks.............Peter

David McRitchie

Hi Peter,
A2: =Date(2005,4,1)
A3: =Date(year(a2),Month(a2)+1,day(a2))

fill down from A3 with the fill handle, per link in previous reply
or directions in http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/fillhand.htm

HTH,

"Fredrik Wahlgren" wrote in message ...

"PeterM" wrote in message
I'm trying to make a loan payback schedule for my daughter, and I'm having

few problems. She asked me to show her what the principal is, the payment,
the interest payments (2% she insisted) and other info she requested. I
thought I can copy and paste the formula from one completed cell to let's
say 36 others. The cut and paste works only from one cell to another, not
from one cell to several below each other. Can someone please help me with
this? I also can't figure out how to make a date go from one date to let's
say 36 month into the future. I'm using Excel 2003. Many many
thanks.............Peter

You can use Drag & Fill instead.
http://www.designcad.com.au/support/.../Drag-Fill.htm

/Fredrik

PeterM

Many thanks to you Fredrick,David and Ragdyer. Every worked swell, except
the dates. I used David's =Date(2005,4,1) what that did, with the drag,
(what I just learned) and it copied the exact dates to other cells only, no
adding of month or even days, and also just entered a date. I entered like
5/1/2005. I did the wonderful feature of the drag, from the cross. (the
right one of course) but it copied everything the right way, except it
changed the days, and not the month. So there is something I'm not doing
right. If any of you like to help, I would appreciate this very much. I
could send the spreadsheet as well. I was still not able drag the Total,
pmt, yr int, Mo Int, mo prin etc down to cell # 50 or so. I can still only
do one drag at a time. Best to all of you, and many
thanks.................Peter

"PeterM" wrote in message
I'm trying to make a loan payback schedule for my daughter, and I'm
having

few problems. She asked me to show her what the principal is, the
payment,
the interest payments (2% she insisted) and other info she requested. I
thought I can copy and paste the formula from one completed cell to let's
say 36 others. The cut and paste works only from one cell to another, not
from one cell to several below each other. Can someone please help me
with
this? I also can't figure out how to make a date go from one date to
let's
say 36 month into the future. I'm using Excel 2003. Many many
thanks.............Peter

Ragdyer

<<"I used David's =Date(2005,4,1)"

I think that you misunderstood exactly *what* you should have dragged down
to copy.
If you re-read David's instructions, you'll see that you should have dragged
down the formula:

=DATE(YEAR(A2),MONTH(A2)+1,DAY(A2))

This formula uses the date in cell A2 as a starting point, and then, you'll
notice in the formula the "+1" after the month, to increment the month by
one, in each cell that it's copied to.

Experiment on a new, blank sheet.
In A1, enter any date, say
4/10/05
In A2, enter this formula:

=DATE(YEAR(A1),MONTH(A1)+1,DAY(A1))

You will notice, that already, A2 contains a date that's one month advanced
from A1, "5/10/05", which is the result of the formula.

Now ... select *only* A2.
And drag down that cell.
You now should understand what that formula will do to a true date that is
in the cell that the formula refers to.

You could add numbers to the year and/or day portion of the formula and get
different results, even changing the numbers to greater then one, even using
minus to decrement the date.

Hope this gives you a little more insight into what you can accomplish.
--
HTH,

RD

"Ragdyer" wrote in message
[...]

-
Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may benefit

!

-
"PeterM" wrote in message
I'm trying to make a loan payback schedule for my daughter, and I'm
having

few problems. She asked me to show her what the principal is, the
payment,
the interest payments (2% she insisted) and other info she requested. I
thought I can copy and paste the formula from one completed cell to

let's
say 36 others. The cut and paste works only from one cell to another,

not
from one cell to several below each other. Can someone please help me
with
this? I also can't figure out how to make a date go from one date to
let's
say 36 month into the future. I'm using Excel 2003. Many many
thanks.............Peter

PeterM

Thank you Ragdyer again for always being right to the point and always right
on. Yes, now I get it....................Peter
Thank you David again as well. I'm too old to get it most of the time :-)