ronmjo

Default how do i set up excel to copy from one cell to a given number of .

Lets say you are doing a budget for 12 months. You input a number in the
first month (jan) and you want to carry that same number to each month for
the rest of the year. What is the automatic way to do that. I should be able
to tell it to copy, hit a button and it will copy to the range I have.
Spiff

Hi ronmjo,

There are a number of ways you could do this:

If the number you enter won't change much, you can simply copy it to the
other cells by either clicking on the cell you want to copy and point to the
lower right corner of the cell so that your cursor changes to the + symbol.
Then click and drag that across the columns you want to copy to and Excel
will place that data in the columns.

The other way to do the copy & paste to a range is to right click on the
data you want to copy, select "Copy" from the menu, then highlight the range
of cells you want to fill with the data, right click and select "Paste".

If the budget data will be changing and you want the other cells to update
automatically, use a formula to copy the data. For example, if the budget
lines are on separate rows and the months are in columns and the first budget
data is in cell A5 and subsequent months for this data are in B5, C5, etc.,
then do this:

In the first cell of this row (B5), place this formula: =$A5
Now click on this cell and copy it (by dragging) to all the other cells in
this row and the rows below it. The "$" tells Excel to always look at column
A for the data, but Excel will change the row to match the row that the cell
is in.

Now as you enter the data in each cell of column A, it will automatically be
copied to the adjacent cells to the right, where the formlaes are.

Hope that makes sense.

Henry Falk

"ronmjo" wrote:

Lets say you are doing a budget for 12 months. You input a number in the
first month (jan) and you want to carry that same number to each month for
the rest of the year. What is the automatic way to do that. I should be able
to tell it to copy, hit a button and it will copy to the range I have.

ronmjo

What if I only want it to copy automatic if I tell it to, is there a way to
do that? Lets say I want Jan to be the number 10 and I want feb to be 10 and
march to be 10 but i want april to be 15 and so on. is there a button or a
way i can tell it to copy what as in your example a5 and then as you move out
in the spreadskeet, like april you want it to copy what you put there on out
to the end of the year.

"ronmjo" wrote:

Lets say you are doing a budget for 12 months. You input a number in the
first month (jan) and you want to carry that same number to each month for
the rest of the year. What is the automatic way to do that. I should be able
to tell it to copy, hit a button and it will copy to the range I have.

Spiff

Yes, you can do that. Enter the data you want in the cell for April - let's
say that's cell D5 - then starting at cell E5, the formula should be =$D5 and
copy that out to the rest of the months. What you're doing with the formulas
is just to tell Excel to look at the cell mentioned in the formula (D5) and
put that value into this cell.

Henry