OSHAman

Default Set default in auto fill options, I always want to copy cell, som.

When I use excel to do registration, I enter customers address and want to
click and pull down that address into cells below, but when I do the address
number increases in value. I can go into auto fill options and change it, but
I want it to always select copy cell and default back to it. On this spread
sheet. I have some colums that default to copy cells and other colums that
when I try to drag a number it increases in value because it defaults to fill
series. How do i change this?
Debra Dalgleish

When you select a single cell that contains a number, then drag the Fill
Handle, the default behaviour is to copy.

When the cell contains a date, or text with a number at the end of a
portion of the text (e.g. 123 Main Street), the default is to fill the
series.

To override either behaviour, press the Ctrl key as you drag the Fill
Handle. Release the mouse button, then release Ctrl key.
(Note: you can press the Ctrl button at any time during the AutoFill
process, so if you start to drag, and the autofill isn't doing what you
want, press the Ctrl key.)

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

Gord Dibben

Alternate method...

Right-click on the cell fill handle, drag and release then select "Copy Cells"
or "Fill Series".

Gord Dibben Excel MVP