Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default lost my drop down menus - where are they?

I had to move Excel 2003 to a different computer - lost hard drive. I have
all of my worksheets, but now I don't have my custom menus to run my macros.
Can I restore them?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Those custom menus could have been saved in a file called excel11.xlb (if you
modified them manually) or they could have been in different workbooks (if you
modified them via code).

So if you have a backup of your excel11.xlb file, then you could find it and
replace the current version with this one (with excel closed).

Of if you did the modifications in code, you should just have to open those
workbooks--just like before, well, if you still have them.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

hi
depends. do you have access to your old computer. custom menu/toolbars are
stored in a special file with an .xlb extention. different versions of xl
store this file in different places. if you can search your old pc for this
file, you may be able to install it on your new pc. i've never had to do it
so i'm not sure of the exact prodedure. i have xl02 and my .xlb is located at
documents and setting\FSt1\application data\microsoft\excel\excel10.xlb
i think xl03 will be excel11.xlb

if you can't get to your old pc, you may be looking at reconstruction.

regards
FSt1

"tripodjim" wrote:

I had to move Excel 2003 to a different computer - lost hard drive. I have
all of my worksheets, but now I don't have my custom menus to run my macros.
Can I restore them?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you manually created the menu items, they would have been stored in
Excel's XLB file, which is probably now gone forever. If you created
custom command bars, and you attached those command bars to a workbook
(using the Attach option in the Toolbars/Customize dialog) you can
restore them by opening the workbook to which they were attached.
Beyond that, they are probably gone forever.

Cordially,
Chip Pearson
Microsoft MVP
Excel Product Group