Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
gtb gtb is offline

Default Number formatting

I'm using the & function to draw several cells into one to produce a product
description. One cell has user input format of 0.00. If the user inputs a
value without decimals, ie 4.00, I want the final result to be 4 in the
product description. If the user inputs say 3.15 then the final result in the
product descripton should be 3.15. How do I check a cell to see if there are
numbers to the right of the decimal. Is there a simpler way than say using
Integer, subtract from original, compare to zero and then format with if
statement???
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Once you use & to concatenate numbers with text, you will get the value which
was entered in the cell and not as the cell is displayed... So in this
particular case you don't have to anything special to get what you want...

You can search for decimal point and the subtract that from LEN of the value
to get number of decimals. Of course you have to take care of cases when
there are no decimals.

"gtb" wrote:

I'm using the & function to draw several cells into one to produce a product
description. One cell has user input format of 0.00. If the user inputs a
value without decimals, ie 4.00, I want the final result to be 4 in the
product description. If the user inputs say 3.15 then the final result in the
product descripton should be 3.15. How do I check a cell to see if there are
numbers to the right of the decimal. Is there a simpler way than say using
Integer, subtract from original, compare to zero and then format with if
statement???

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

You already have an answer that with concatenation this isn't necessary, but
I will answer your question anyway

=MOD(A1,1) This returns the decimal portion of a number or
=MOD(A1,1)0 This return true if there are any non zero numbers to the
right of the decimal point.
=LEN(ROUND(MOD(A1,1),14))-2 This returns the number of characters to the
right of the decimal point as long as that is less than 15 digits.

If these help, please click the Yes button.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire