Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default What would you suggest

I am working in excel 2003 and have created a workbook. The questions I have
is there a way to create a button or something that would would draw
attention to "this Button" and it would explain how the program works I would
like for it to draw attention. What should i use?
--
Thank you, Brenda

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Brenda,
If I don't misunderstood you you want the users to go where the explanations
of "How the program works". If that is the case you can create another tab
with your instructions and then make a macro to go there
You will have a Button Called "INSTRUCTIONS" or the name you like and then
will assign the macro to that button.
To do that in the menu page, go to macros, new macro, change the name of the
macro to Instructions then hit OK, and then select the tab where the
instructions are
.. then stop the macro
Next step go to forms and look for a rectangule click on it and then go to
where you would like to have that button, and just pressing the left button
of the mouse paint the area, once you finish it will ask what macro to assign
just highlight instructions and you will be done. each time you go to the
button you will see a little hand, press the button and it will go to the tab
where the instructions are
"Brenda" wrote:

I am working in excel 2003 and have created a workbook. The questions I have
is there a way to create a button or something that would would draw
attention to "this Button" and it would explain how the program works I would
like for it to draw attention. What should i use?
--
Thank you, Brenda

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Insert a new sheet, name it Instructions, and then write the
instructions out how you wish to see them.

Then in one of your other sheets (say in cell G2) you can put this
formula:

=HYPERLINK("#Instructions!$A$1","Instructions")

This will put the word Instructions in that cell, but if you click on
the cell it will send you to A1 of the Instructions sheet. You can
format that cell how you wish, eg Red background, large font etc, and
then you can just copy/paste it to the same cell of the other sheets.

Hope this helps.

Pete

"Brenda" wrote:

I am working in excel 2003 and have created a workbook. The questions I have
is there a way to create a button or something that would would draw
attention to "this Button" and it would explain how the program works I would
like for it to draw attention. What should i use?
--
Thank you, Brenda- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If they are entering data directly into cells, you could always start by
using data validation. Debra Dalgleish has a site:
http://contextures.com/tiptech.html
that has a lot of helpful techniques, including multiple topics of Data
Validation. With DV, you can (within the limits of excel) ensure the correct
entry by the user, have a message box pop up that you can fit to your needs,
indicating to the user what is and isn't valid, etc....
--
** John C **

"Brenda" wrote:

I am working in excel 2003 and have created a workbook. The questions I have
is there a way to create a button or something that would would draw
attention to "this Button" and it would explain how the program works I would
like for it to draw attention. What should i use?
--
Thank you, Brenda

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Brenda,
It might work, I have more than 8 tabs and you can create as much buttons as
you want. i.e a button # 1 will take you to tab#1. you can name the button
"Enter information in the white areas. You can unprotect the white areas and
protect all the others cells so in that way the user will not be able to
enter information somewhere else or change any formula unless you authorize
them with a password
You can use the buttons to make calculation, prepare charts etc. I found it
so versatile and it looks great, but at the end is your decision. Let me know
if I can help you.

"Brenda" wrote:

I am working in excel 2003 and have created a workbook. The questions I have
is there a way to create a button or something that would would draw
attention to "this Button" and it would explain how the program works I would
like for it to draw attention. What should i use?
--
Thank you, Brenda

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

This sounds like a job for comments or text boxes. To add a comment right
click a cell and choose Insert Comment, type anything you want in the comment
and resize it as necessary. When you click off of it a small triangle
appears and when you hover over the cell the comment is displayed.

You can add text boxes or any autoshape object from the Drawing Toolbar and
type into it. Besides regular shapes, textboxes, there are Callouts of
various sorts. To do this click the Drawing toolbar button on the Standard
toolbar, it appears at the bottom most often, choose AutoShape, Callout and
click one. Then drag in the spreadsheet and type whatever you want into it.
This do not disappear when you move off them.

--
Thanks,
Shane Devenshire