Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Auto suggest entries?

Is it possible by Excel 2003 to suggest possible entries when we start
filling a cell. I am ready to have a column of possible entries in the
same sheet. What I would like is to have excel suggest entries based on
first few letters we type. I have seen this working only if the data is
in the SAME column.
Regards

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You are correct.

ToolsOptionsEditEnable Autocomplete works only in the same column.

To get AC in any cell you will have to use Data Validation using a combo-box.

See Debra Dalgleish's site for method and instructions.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On 11 Jan 2007 05:14:58 -0800, "Manju" wrote:

Is it possible by Excel 2003 to suggest possible entries when we start
filling a cell. I am ready to have a column of possible entries in the
same sheet. What I would like is to have excel suggest entries based on
first few letters we type. I have seen this working only if the data is
in the SAME column.
Regards

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Many Thanks.
The basic need of the request was to avoid using mouse. I knew about
the validation tool (but not combobox), but it requies the use of mouse
to clkick the drop down list. Is there a way to avoid double clicking
to activate combobox? Or at least give me a keyboard shortcut for
double click. I tried F2, it doesn't work. Thanks for the help.

Regards
Manju

Gord Dibben wrote:
You are correct.

ToolsOptionsEditEnable Autocomplete works only in the same column.

To get AC in any cell you will have to use Data Validation using a combo-box.

See Debra Dalgleish's site for method and instructions.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On 11 Jan 2007 05:14:58 -0800, "Manju" wrote:

Is it possible by Excel 2003 to suggest possible entries when we start
filling a cell. I am ready to have a column of possible entries in the
same sheet. What I would like is to have excel suggest entries based on
first few letters we type. I have seen this working only if the data is
in the SAME column.
Regards

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I'm not sure if you can work this into whatever solution you select, but

When you're on a dropdown list, combo box, or cell with autocomplete options
If you hold down [Alt] and press the down arrow...you'll see the list.
Then you can arrow down/up to the item you want and press [enter]

Is that something you can work with?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"Manju" wrote:

Is it possible by Excel 2003 to suggest possible entries when we start
filling a cell. I am ready to have a column of possible entries in the
same sheet. What I would like is to have excel suggest entries based on
first few letters we type. I have seen this working only if the data is
in the SAME column.
Regards

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks for the feedback....I'm glad I could help.

Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP