Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Date validation

Thanks for reading this post.

In column A I would like to enter dates. For instance the date entered in A5
should be verified for the following.

Question :-

1 If A4 is blank, no entry should be permitted in A5
2 If A4 is not blank, then A5 could be equal to or greater than A4

Alternate :-

1 If A4 is blank, no entry should be permitted in A5
2 If A4 is not blank, then A5 should be equal to TODAY( )

What should be the CUSTOM/FORMULA for both the above validations?

Thanks in advance

Regards

Preman

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

data validation for the cell A5

=IF(A4="",A5<"",IF(A4<"",A54,""))

On Oct 29, 10:57*pm, jpreman
wrote:
Thanks for reading this post.

In column A I would like to enter dates. For instance the date entered in A5
should be verified for the following.

Question :-

1 * If A4 is blank, no entry should be permitted in A5
2 * If A4 is not blank, then A5 could be equal to or greater than A4

Alternate :-

1 * If A4 is blank, no entry should be permitted in A5
2 * If A4 is not blank, then A5 should be equal to TODAY( )

What should be the CUSTOM/FORMULA for both the above validations?

Thanks in advance

Regards

Preman

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

For the question:

Uncheck Ignore blank

=AND(COUNT(A4),COUNT(A5),A5=A4)

For the alternate:

=AND(COUNT(A4),A5=TODAY())

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"jpreman" wrote in message
Thanks for reading this post.

In column A I would like to enter dates. For instance the date entered in
A5
should be verified for the following.

Question :-

1 If A4 is blank, no entry should be permitted in A5
2 If A4 is not blank, then A5 could be equal to or greater than A4

Alternate :-

1 If A4 is blank, no entry should be permitted in A5
2 If A4 is not blank, then A5 should be equal to TODAY( )

What should be the CUSTOM/FORMULA for both the above validations?

Thanks in advance

Regards

Preman

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Great !

Thanks a lot Valko. That's exactly what I was looking for.

I would be glad if you kindly explain how COUNT function works in your
formula.

Thanks & regards

Preman

"T. Valko" wrote:

For the question:

Uncheck Ignore blank

=AND(COUNT(A4),COUNT(A5),A5=A4)

For the alternate:

=AND(COUNT(A4),A5=TODAY())

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"jpreman" wrote in message
Thanks for reading this post.

In column A I would like to enter dates. For instance the date entered in
A5
should be verified for the following.

Question :-

1 If A4 is blank, no entry should be permitted in A5
2 If A4 is not blank, then A5 could be equal to or greater than A4

Alternate :-

1 If A4 is blank, no entry should be permitted in A5
2 If A4 is not blank, then A5 should be equal to TODAY( )

What should be the CUSTOM/FORMULA for both the above validations?

Thanks in advance

Regards

Preman

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Since you're validating dates the COUNT function makes sure a date is
entered in either cell. In Excel dates are really numbers formatted to look
like a date. So, if a date (number) is not entered in A4 then the formulas
evaluate to FALSE and the validation will not permit an entry into A5.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"jpreman" wrote in message
Great !

Thanks a lot Valko. That's exactly what I was looking for.

I would be glad if you kindly explain how COUNT function works in your
formula.

Thanks & regards

Preman

"T. Valko" wrote:

For the question:

Uncheck Ignore blank

=AND(COUNT(A4),COUNT(A5),A5=A4)

For the alternate:

=AND(COUNT(A4),A5=TODAY())

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"jpreman" wrote in message
Thanks for reading this post.

In column A I would like to enter dates. For instance the date entered
in
A5
should be verified for the following.

Question :-

1 If A4 is blank, no entry should be permitted in A5
2 If A4 is not blank, then A5 could be equal to or greater than A4

Alternate :-

1 If A4 is blank, no entry should be permitted in A5
2 If A4 is not blank, then A5 should be equal to TODAY( )

What should be the CUSTOM/FORMULA for both the above validations?

Thanks in advance

Regards

Preman

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Got it.

Once again many thanks to you.

Kind regards

Preman

"jpreman" wrote in message
Great !

Thanks a lot Valko. That's exactly what I was looking for.

I would be glad if you kindly explain how COUNT function works in your
formula.

Thanks & regards

Preman

"T. Valko" wrote:

For the question:

Uncheck Ignore blank

=AND(COUNT(A4),COUNT(A5),A5=A4)

For the alternate:

=AND(COUNT(A4),A5=TODAY())

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"jpreman" wrote in message
Thanks for reading this post.

In column A I would like to enter dates. For instance the date entered
in
A5
should be verified for the following.

Question :-

1 If A4 is blank, no entry should be permitted in A5
2 If A4 is not blank, then A5 could be equal to or greater than A4

Alternate :-

1 If A4 is blank, no entry should be permitted in A5
2 If A4 is not blank, then A5 should be equal to TODAY( )

What should be the CUSTOM/FORMULA for both the above validations?

Thanks in advance

Regards

Preman

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for responding to my post Madhu.

The formula did not satisfy condition 1. Perhaps you can take have a look
and correct it.

Regards

Preman

wrote:
Thanks for reading this post.

In column A I would like to enter dates. For instance the date entered in A5
should be verified for the following.

Question :-

1 If A4 is blank, no entry should be permitted in A5
2 If A4 is not blank, then A5 could be equal to or greater than A4

Alternate :-

1 If A4 is blank, no entry should be permitted in A5
2 If A4 is not blank, then A5 should be equal to TODAY( )

What should be the CUSTOM/FORMULA for both the above validations?

Thanks in advance

Regards

Preman

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You're welcome!

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"jpreman" wrote in message
Great !

Thanks a lot Valko. That's exactly what I was looking for.

I would be glad if you kindly explain how COUNT function works in your
formula.

Thanks & regards

Preman

"T. Valko" wrote: