Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
jeridbohmann

Default Date Validation - Must equal Sundays date

I have a nifty little time sheet for 3 employees to use. Unfortunatly this
thing needs to be dummy proof because now I am responsible of making sure
they enter the right dates. All they need to do is enter every other weeks
start date.
For instance:
John's pay period starts on 12/4/05 (a sunday). All he has to do is type in
12/4/05 in one cell and the spreadsheet fills in the end date, the weekday
dates, etc..
He won't have to do it again until 2 weeks (12/18/05).
John can't seem to enter the right date and then payroll gets mad and they
yell at me...blah blah.
So I tried doing a data validation for a range of cells (I have all the
valid Sundays in a column on the same sheet). What am I doing wrong??
Is this even possible?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Peo Sjoblom

Use datavalidationcustom and in the formula box put

=WEEKDAY(A1,2)=7

where A1 is the cell with the validation, click the error alert tab and type
a message like "John, learn the difference between Sunday and other days!"

Peo Sjoblom

"jeridbohmann" wrote in message
I have a nifty little time sheet for 3 employees to use. Unfortunatly this
thing needs to be dummy proof because now I am responsible of making sure
they enter the right dates. All they need to do is enter every other weeks
start date.
For instance:
John's pay period starts on 12/4/05 (a sunday). All he has to do is type

in
12/4/05 in one cell and the spreadsheet fills in the end date, the weekday
dates, etc..
He won't have to do it again until 2 weeks (12/18/05).
John can't seem to enter the right date and then payroll gets mad and they
yell at me...blah blah.
So I tried doing a data validation for a range of cells (I have all the
valid Sundays in a column on the same sheet). What am I doing wrong??
Is this even possible?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
jeridbohmann

I used that code and in the formula except it says:
=WEEKDAY(U1,2)=7
In cell U1 I have 12/04/05

Is this correct? I enter 12/06/05 and it take it and every other date I try.
I must be missing something.
Also: U1 = the cell, what does the ",2" do for the formula?

I put that message in there too! Maybe he'll get the picture!

Thanks !

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Take a look at Excel's help for =weekday(). It has a nice explanation about
what that number means.

When you applied data|Validation, did you check the "show error alert..." box on
the Error Alert tab?

Make sure you make the Style "stop", too.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
jeridbohmann

Tried it on a new spreadhseet...to make sure my other sheet wasn't messed up
and the same result happened....nothing.

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

I'd guess you made a mistake when you typed in the formula.

I'd try again.

And make sure you type in the month/day/year in the correct order.

June 12, 2005 is a Sunday.

(Although, April 12, 2005 is not.)

I'm still guessing typo.

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

What cell was active when you applied Data|Validation?
What was the formula you used?

Copy and paste from that dialog.

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
jeridbohmann

A1 is 12/04/05
Highlight Cell C1.
I went to data/validation
changed to custom and entered the formula =WEEKDAY(A1,2)=7
Put a Stop message on

Now when I type any date (12/07/05 - - month, day, year) it lets me with no
warning or stop. I tried 5 different dates.
I retyped and even did a copy past of the formula

Office 2003 SP2 by the way

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Peo Sjoblom

Are you using the same cell, i.e. do you select U1, then do
datavalidationallowcustom and put in the formula

=WEEKDAY(U1,2)=7

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

If you're typing in A1, then select A1 and apply data|validation.

If you're using A1 to stop entry in C1, then as long as A1 is a Sunday, you can
type anything you want in C1.

Change A1 to a Saturday and you'll be stopped in C1.

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
jeridbohmann

A1 is 12/04/05
Highlight Cell C1.
I went to data/validation
changed to custom and entered the formula =WEEKDAY(A1,2)=7
Put a Stop message on

Now when I type any date (12/07/05 - - month, day, year) it lets me with no
warning or stop. I tried 5 different dates.
I retyped and even did a copy paste of the formula
C1 is the one I want to type in and get a stop message.

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
jeridbohmann

Bingo! I am a total retard!
What I thought was A1 was referring to the start date to use.
I am sorry...long day, brain isn't working properly I guess. Thank you and
Thank you Dave!!!

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
jeridbohmann

Sorry guys...kicking myself here for not taking a deep breath and going
slow...misread it. Thank yo uso much for your patience!