Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Manipulating Excel Online and/or for Many Shared Users

2 Part Question

I have a large multi tab (30+) spreadsheet with many formulas and drop down
menu items in the input cells. As a result, the file is nearly 30 MB. It is
currently posted on a large shared server for users in various off site
locations.

1) Is there a way to make the spreadsheet webbased or make it smaller so
that it can be easily viewed and manipulated by several users?

2) The data for this spreadsheet comes from many users. Currently I have
them fill in a survey created in excel, they email this document to me, and
then I copy and paste the information into the main spreadsheet (to prevent
some one messing up the main spreadsheet). Is there a way to have the servey
online populate directly into the main excel spreadsheet, or failing that,
into a different main document where I can cut and paste large pices of data
into the main spreadsheet?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Probably not the answer you want to hear but XL is not the ideal platform for
what you are trying to do. It does not handle concurrent users well.
Additionally it does not handle large quantities of data well. If your
workbook is 30Mb then I would venture to guess that it is trying to deal with
too much data. Surveys are best stored in databases. The nice thing is they
handle concurrent users accessing large volumes of data over the web or
network very well... just my 2 cents...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"ChrisNeedsHelp" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Maybe if you explain the purpose of the spreadsheet, someone here can
provide you with a solution better suited for your needs. Otherwise I
agree with Jim, Access is probably the way to go.

Regarding question #2, I thought you wrote that the spreadsheet is on
a shared server, why can't they just input the data directly, using a
form?

--JP

On Oct 14, 1:08*pm, ChrisNeedsHelp
wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

To Clarify -
I need to track my company's promotions in various different markets. Sales
managers have many different offers in place, and we want to be able to see
how each indivudal promotion performs as well as see what types perform best
overall and demonstrate a strong ROI.

Many of the fields I'm using are standardized to assist in tracking, but
there are also free form fields for comments.

Would Microsoft Project be a better fit?