Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default formula for separating data into two columns

I have a list of over 15,000 names in one column and I need a formula to
separate the surnames into one column and the first names into a second
column. I've done this before but have forgotten the formula. Can anyone
help me?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

hi
that would depend on the layout. it could involve using the "LEFT", "RIGHT",
and/or "MID" functons and may include other functions.
Post an 10 item example of your data.

regards
FSt1

"Lacey1941" wrote:

I have a list of over 15,000 names in one column and I need a formula to
separate the surnames into one column and the first names into a second
column. I've done this before but have forgotten the formula. Can anyone
help me?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

AAEN, BARBARA JEAN
AARON, ELCIE L
ABDALLAH, MOHAMED AHMED
ABE, KATASHIGE
ABE, KENJI
ABE, MORIMATSU
ABE, SHIGEKO
ABERNATHY, LIONEL
ABLES, LONNIE
ABNEY, DONALD MAX

All names are in the A column now and I want to leave the surname in the A
column and move the given name into the (B) column.

"Lacey1941" wrote:

I have a list of over 15,000 names in one column and I need a formula to
separate the surnames into one column and the first names into a second
column. I've done this before but have forgotten the formula. Can anyone
help me?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It's not a formula, first make sure you have at least 2 empty column to the
right of your column, then select the whole column and do datatext to
columns, select delimited, click next and select comma as delimiter and
click finish. Then make sure it worked and finally save the work after you
made sure it worked OK.

Peo Sjoblom