Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
penroma

Default Separating Data Into Multiple Columns

I am copying a text file into Excel. I need help understanding how to
insert column widths so that all the data in Excel will not be in one
column, but in separate columns.
Thanks in advance!

--
penroma
penroma's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=3425

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
DCSwearingen

Depends on the origin of the text as to the best way to accomplish it.

I have always had the most success saving the text as a text file
(Notepad) and then importing the text file into Excel.

The assumption is that the text is delimited in some fashion?

From the Excel File Open dialog, select Text files from the drop-down
at the bottom of the dialog and select your text file.

The text import wizard will guide you through the process, you just
need to know if you want fixed width columns or if delimited.

--
DCSwearingen

Getting old, but love computers.
DCSwearingen's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=21506