Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default My question disappeared?

About five minutes ago I printed down an answer to a question I posted
yesterday. Now I'm doing a search using my username or a part of the
question title. I would think I'm out of my mind, but since the printout is
sitting here right in front of me, I would guess something has happened on
your end.

The question was called Links not linking and it was posted in Excel General
Questions. All I want to do is create another post.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It's still there. Here is the answer you got from Sean Timmons

"Let me ask the obvious questions...

The ddownloaded files.. are the saved to the same names as your previous
files?

when you open the summary spreadsheet, are you selecting Update Values?

If you get an error about not updating values, do you go to Edit - Links and
update from there?

In Tools - Options - Calculation, are Update remote references and Save
external link values checked? In the Edit tab, is Ask to update automatic
links checked?"

Peo Sjoblom

"Lambi000" wrote in message
About five minutes ago I printed down an answer to a question I posted
yesterday. Now I'm doing a search using my username or a part of the
question title. I would think I'm out of my mind, but since the printout
is
sitting here right in front of me, I would guess something has happened on
your end.

The question was called Links not linking and it was posted in Excel
General
Questions. All I want to do is create another post.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Peo,

For reasons I don't understand, I still can't see it.

Anyhow, the answers to Sean Timmons, if I can get to him, is yes to all. I
double-checked.

Sometimes I'll get 3/4's of the new data and it just ends as if the size of
the previous data is preventing any new data from coming in. When we save
the new data under the old file name, is the old data being overwritten but
taking on the characteristics of the old file (like how many rows)?

"Lambi000" wrote in message
About five minutes ago I printed down an answer to a question I posted
yesterday. Now I'm doing a search using my username or a part of the
question title. I would think I'm out of my mind, but since the printout
is
sitting here right in front of me, I would guess something has happened on
your end.

The question was called Links not linking and it was posted in Excel
General
Questions. All I want to do is create another post.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You are not alone, I posted my question a few hours ago and now I can not
find it! I have the notification e-mail sitting in my e-mail account but
when I click on the option to Read and Rate the response the window is just
blank.

I dont want to re-post the question but if I can't find it tomorrow I may
just have to.

"Lambi000" wrote in message
About five minutes ago I printed down an answer to a question I posted
yesterday. Now I'm doing a search using my username or a part of the
question title. I would think I'm out of my mind, but since the printout
is
sitting here right in front of me, I would guess something has happened on
your end.

The question was called Links not linking and it was posted in Excel
General
Questions. All I want to do is create another post.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Are you opening your old files and renaming them with your summary file open?
That would change the links.

If you go to Edit - Links, where are the links pointing? To the old files?

To avoid the mess, move your old files via My Computer. This will typically
avoid the whole situtation...

Your Original post:

I download four spreadsheets from an outside source and then link the data
into a summary workbook. I expect to see the data from each of the outside
..xls files in a worksheet in the summary workbook, but it's always previous
data. I end up cutting and doing a Paste Special with Paste as Link.

I have checked all the links and they are automatic. The
Tools/Options/Calculations/Update Remote References is checked.

Before I send the summary out, I break the links and that happens, but I
can't understand why they won't update. (I swear they used to not so long
ago!)

Help!