Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default If a cell is updated can several other cells change colour?

Hi,
Can anyone help me with this one?
If a cell is updated can several other cells change colour?
eg. If a particular cell is changed, I want several other cells to be
highlighted by changing their colour

Is there a simple way of doing this?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi ian,

You can do this by contitionally formatting your cell.
This can change the colour of your font when you type in the required value
into a cell.
--
Regards
Warren

"IanClegg" wrote:

Hi,
Can anyone help me with this one?
If a cell is updated can several other cells change colour?
eg. If a particular cell is changed, I want several other cells to be
highlighted by changing their colour

Is there a simple way of doing this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

IanClegg wrote:

Hi,
Can anyone help me with this one?
If a cell is updated can several other cells change colour?
eg. If a particular cell is changed, I want several other cells to be
highlighted by changing their colour

Is there a simple way of doing this?

Let us say that you want cell A2 to turn green if cell M2 has a
number entered

Put the cursor in A2, and use conditional formatting. Instead of
"Cell value is" select "Formula is" and for a condition enter
"=M20" (without the quote marks) Then choose the format you
want to apply.

Use the format painter to copy down the A column.

If you want to use the same format for other columns, then make
the formula "=$M20" and you can copy the format to adjacent
columns.

Beware when copying the format that it will overwrite any
existing formatting.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you want a particular value use formatconditional formatting
If you want to change based on ANY change use a worksheet_change event macro
restricted to the cell desired.

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"IanClegg" wrote in message
Can anyone help me with this one?
If a cell is updated can several other cells change colour?
eg. If a particular cell is changed, I want several other cells to be
highlighted by changing their colour

Is there a simple way of doing this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

IanClegg,

You can try this code into the Sheet which you are wanting to change. I
assumed three cells to highlight. I must note that I didn't put any coding
in here to unhighlight to cells, so they will currently stay highlighted
until you unhighlight them.

Dim Chng_cell As String
Dim highlight1 As String
Dim highlight2 As String
Dim highlight3 As String

'Change these as required
Chng_cell = "$A$1"
highlight1 = "$B$1"
highlight2 = "$B$2"
highlight3 = "$B$3"

If Target.Address = Chng_cell Then
'Highlighted Cell 1
With Range(highlight1).Interior
.ColorIndex = 6
.Pattern = xlSolid
End With
'Highlighted Cell 2
With Range(highlight2).Interior
.ColorIndex = 6
.Pattern = xlSolid
End With
'Highlighted Cell 3
With Range(highlight3).Interior
.ColorIndex = 6
.Pattern = xlSolid
End With

--Thomas [PBD]
Working hard to make working easy.
Answered your question? Click ''''Yes'''' below.

"IanClegg" wrote:

Hi,
Can anyone help me with this one?
If a cell is updated can several other cells change colour?
eg. If a particular cell is changed, I want several other cells to be
highlighted by changing their colour

Is there a simple way of doing this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Right click sheet tabview codeinsert this. However, it will change the
color with ANY change to the same color. Is this what you want?

If Target.Address = "$B$1" Then _
Range("a2,c4,d5").Interior.ColorIndex = 6

Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel
SalesAid Software

"IanClegg" wrote in message
Can anyone help me with this one?
If a cell is updated can several other cells change colour?
eg. If a particular cell is changed, I want several other cells to be
highlighted by changing their colour

Is there a simple way of doing this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Mine is a bit more compact.

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"IanClegg" wrote:

Hi,
Can anyone help me with this one?
If a cell is updated can several other cells change colour?
eg. If a particular cell is changed, I want several other cells to be
highlighted by changing their colour

Is there a simple way of doing this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I see that. I wrote mine as you were writing yours I see. I think I would
use yours instead.

--
--Thomas [PBD]
Working hard to make working easy.
Answered your question? Click ''''Yes'''' below.

"Don Guillett" wrote:

Mine is a bit more compact.

--
Don Guillett