Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Addition in Excel

Hi,

I work in a bank and I am working on a spreadsheet adds values ONLY the two
decimal places and disregard the rest.

i.e.

+29.901 -report displayed as -- 29.90
+29.902 -report displayed as -- 29.90
+29.903 -report displayed as -- 29.90
+29.904 -report displayed as -- 29.90
+29.905 -report displayed as -- 29.91
------------ ------------
=149.52 =149.51 (when added from the
displayed values.)

The problem is that the customers only see up to two decimal places of the
amounts. On the example, is someone would run the values based exactly on
what is displayed, they would get a different total from excel's total.

I realized that limiting the number of decimal places or changes the format
(general, accounting, or currency, only changes how the number is displayed
but not how excel treats the number in doing operations.

Any suggestions/solutions would be greatly appreciated !

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

select the cell | format | cells | number tab | category: number |
decimal places : 3 | ok

------------ * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *------------ *
=149.52 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *=149.51 (when added from the
displayed values.)

The problem is that the customers only see up to two decimal places of the
amounts. *On the example, is someone would run the values based exactly on
what is displayed, they would get a different total from excel's total.

I realized that limiting the number of decimal places or changes the format
(general, accounting, or currency, *only changes how the number is displayed
but not how excel treats the number in doing operations.

Any suggestions/solutions would be greatly appreciated !

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you want to round the numbers before you add them, use the ROUND
function. Another option is to use "Precision as displayed" (under Tools/
Options/ Calculation), but I wouldn't recommend it.
--
David Biddulph

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi David,

The "Precision as Display" was exactly what I was looking for.
Thank you soooo much!

Gerard