Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
geepeeone geepeeone is offline

Default Addition in Excel

Hi David,

The "Precision as Display" was exactly what I was looking for.
Thank you soooo much!

Gerard

"David Biddulph" wrote:

If you want to round the numbers before you add them, use the ROUND
function. Another option is to use "Precision as displayed" (under Tools/
Options/ Calculation), but I wouldn't recommend it.
--
David Biddulph

"geepeeone" wrote in message

I work in a bank and I am working on a spreadsheet adds values ONLY the
two
decimal places and disregard the rest.

i.e.

+29.901 -report displayed as -- 29.90
+29.902 -report displayed as -- 29.90
+29.903 -report displayed as -- 29.90
+29.904 -report displayed as -- 29.90
+29.905 -report displayed as -- 29.91
------------ ------------
=149.52 =149.51 (when added from the
displayed values.)

The problem is that the customers only see up to two decimal places of the
amounts. On the example, is someone would run the values based exactly on
what is displayed, they would get a different total from excel's total.

I realized that limiting the number of decimal places or changes the
format
(general, accounting, or currency, only changes how the number is
displayed
but not how excel treats the number in doing operations.

Any suggestions/solutions would be greatly appreciated !