Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Opening word docs in excel

I would like to know if it is possible to open a word doc from clicking on a
cell. in other words. If i have a list of names and i wanted to see whatt the
person looks like by clicking on a cell and it would open a word doc with the
picture on it. could it be done?
Or if i could do the same in excel.
Any help would be great.
FYI: I am extremely green in excel knowledge, but willing to try.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

From the worksheet menu

Insert - Object - Create From File - Link to File

Then select file from Browse

"doss04" wrote:

I would like to know if it is possible to open a word doc from clicking on a
cell. in other words. If i have a list of names and i wanted to see whatt the
person looks like by clicking on a cell and it would open a word doc with the
picture on it. could it be done?
Or if i could do the same in excel.
Any help would be great.
FYI: I am extremely green in excel knowledge, but willing to try.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Rather keeping the images in Word docs, just store them as jpegs or gifs in
an out of the way area on the worksheet then use the instructions and code
from either of the two sites below.

To have a picture show up based on VLOOKUP when you select an item from a DV
list or type in a name see JE MCGimpsey's site.

http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/lookuppics.html

As written John's code allows for only one picture to be displayed and the
pictures must be stored on the same worksheet as the VLOOKUP formula.

Or you need multiple pictures shown from VLOOKUPS.............

Got to Debra Dalgeish's site for a sample workbook from Bernie Dietrick for
adding pictures via selections.

Allows for more than one picture to be displayed on a sheet but also
requires the pictures be stored on same sheet.

http://www.contextures.on.ca/excelfiles.html#DataVal

DV0049 - ClipArt Selection

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sat, 4 Oct 2008 00:38:29 -0700, doss04
wrote:

I would like to know if it is possible to open a word doc from clicking on a
cell. in other words. If i have a list of names and i wanted to see whatt the
person looks like by clicking on a cell and it would open a word doc with the
picture on it. could it be done?
Or if i could do the same in excel.
Any help would be great.
FYI: I am extremely green in excel knowledge, but willing to try.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

doss04 wrote:
I would like to know if it is possible to open a word doc from clicking on a
cell. in other words. If i have a list of names and i wanted to see whatt the
person looks like by clicking on a cell and it would open a word doc with the
picture on it. could it be done?
Or if i could do the same in excel.
Any help would be great.
FYI: I am extremely green in excel knowledge, but willing to try.

You can create a hyperlink for each cell that will open your Word
Document or the graphic file that was put into the Word document,
whichever is more convenient. I've got an Excel spreadsheet with
hyperlinks to about 400 Word documents that I can open this way.

Right-click the cell and select "create hyperlink."

Bill