Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Chart problem

Hello,

I have the following problem:

I have 2 series which I need to represent with a column chart, using a
primary and seconday Y-Axis. In each period in the X-Axis I need to have 2
columns, one next to the other. But what I'm getting is 2 columns, one in
front of the other.

I have tried to solve this by formatting the data series, without positive
results.

Can anyone, please, help me?

(I'm using Excel 2003.)

--

igor
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hard to know where the issue is from here..

If you have for example.. Dates in column A, value x down column B, and
value Y down column C...

use Clustered column Type, will show two columns per date. When you say one
in front of the other.. do oyu mean on top of, or do you have them going
vertically and to the right of?

Those would be stacked columns or bars. Don't want those...

"Igor" wrote:

Hello,

I have the following problem:

I have 2 series which I need to represent with a column chart, using a
primary and seconday Y-Axis. In each period in the X-Axis I need to have 2
columns, one next to the other. But what I'm getting is 2 columns, one in
front of the other.

I have tried to solve this by formatting the data series, without positive
results.

Can anyone, please, help me?

(I'm using Excel 2003.)

--

igor

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hello, Sean,

I have used the Clustered column type from the start and I get 2 columns,
but(!) one is literally in front of the other (ie, if both columns have the
same width and height you will only see one, because one covers the other).

The column for series 1 appears directly in front of the column for the
series 2. When I format the data series I can only vary the width of the
column but not the space between them, despite modifying the Overlap and Gap
Width.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Please, help me!

--

igor

"Igor" wrote:

Hello,

I have the following problem:

I have 2 series which I need to represent with a column chart, using a
primary and seconday Y-Axis. In each period in the X-Axis I need to have 2
columns, one next to the other. But what I'm getting is 2 columns, one in
front of the other.

I have tried to solve this by formatting the data series, without positive
results.

Can anyone, please, help me?

(I'm using Excel 2003.)

--

igor

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Igor,

This is a standard Excel problem - You will need to trick Excel into
plotting columns on two axises.

Suppose your data is in cells A1:C10, I'm assuming categories in column A
and your two sets of data in B and C with titles on the first row:

1. Select column letters B:C and choose Insert, Column
2. For ease enter a title in cell B1 and C1 and enter values in B2 and C2
which are about the same as your real data (we will remove them later)
3. Plot your column chart using this entire range A1:E10
4. Select the 3rd series on your chart (just one bar) and choose Format,
Selected Data Series, Axis tab, Secondary
5. Select the 4th series and press F4 (this repeats the command in step 4 on
the 4th series)
6. Click the Legend once, then click one of the two dummy series titles and
press Del (make sure you are selecting the series name and not just the color)
7. Repeat step 6 for the second dummy series
8. Delete the data from cells B1:C2

--
Thanks,
Shane Devenshire