Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel 2007 Format Question

I would like to format my Excel 2007 so that every time I open a worksheet
it is automaticaly set up to be in a number format with 2 decimal places and
using the comma separator every time I open up the worksheet. Presently I
open up the workwheet and have to format the worksheet new every time I open
it up. Being a CPA 99% of the worksheets I start need to be the number
format. Would save me some time if every time I opened up a worksheet it was
already formatted.

Thanks
Darrell A. Hillis, CPA

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This fix will work for changing the default for any new workbook that you
create.

I got this to work. First, Hold the Window Key down and hit F to search
your hard drive for the XLStart folder. Write down the path to that folder
(ie. C:\Program Files etc.)

Then open a blank workbook. On the Home tab, select "Cell Styles" in the
"Styles" Grouping, then right click on "Normal" and select modify from the
shortcut menu. Click the "Format" button, then format the number to use 1000
Separator with 2 decimal places. Click on OK.

Then go to Save as Excel Workbook. Under save as type select "Excel
Template", THEN save to the template with the name Book to the XLStart folder
that you found earlier. From now on, any new workbook will have your number
format right.

Good luck and reply if you have any questions for clarification.

"Darrell Hillis, CPA" wrote:

I would like to format my Excel 2007 so that every time I open a worksheet
it is automaticaly set up to be in a number format with 2 decimal places and
using the comma separator every time I open up the worksheet. Presently I
open up the workwheet and have to format the worksheet new every time I open
it up. Being a CPA 99% of the worksheets I start need to be the number
format. Would save me some time if every time I opened up a worksheet it was
already formatted.

Thanks
Darrell A. Hillis, CPA

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

WARNING,

Any cell that you enter a number into will have this new format, even if you
enter 9/2/08, it will display it as a decimal number.