Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Column width of Pivot Table data goes back to default when data refreshed

I have generated a pivot table and then applied one of the auto table
formats (Table 8 I believe in Excel 2003). The width of the columns is too
wide therefore I manually decrease the width of the columns of the data
field. Unfortunately, every time that I refresh the pivot table the column
widths return to the default "wide" width. Other formatting that I apply
seem to remain (such as filling in cells with a color). This occurs even if
I do not apply any of the auto table formats format to the pivot table. Is
there a way to keep the column widths from returning to the default width
after I have adjusted them?

Thanks,
Rick

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Matt - thanks for the response. I went to pivot table options but did not
find "auto-refresh." I did find "Refresh on Open" and unchecked it as well
as unchecked "Auto format table." I checked "Preserve Formatting." When I
apply the Table 8 format then reduce the column width it still goes back to
the original column width when I refresh the data. All other formatting
appears to be preserved other than column width. Hmmm.... any other
suggestions? I'm using Excel 200 at home and Excel 2003 at work - not sure
if there is a difference when it comes to this issue.

Rick

"Mattlynn via OfficeKB.com" <u44078@uwe wrote in message
| go to the pivot table options, untick auto-refresh, and make sure preserve
| formatting is ticked
|
| Rick J wrote:
| I have generated a pivot table and then applied one of the auto table
| formats (Table 8 I believe in Excel 2003). The width of the columns is
too
| wide therefore I manually decrease the width of the columns of the data
| field. Unfortunately, every time that I refresh the pivot table the
column
| widths return to the default "wide" width. Other formatting that I apply
| seem to remain (such as filling in cells with a color). This occurs even
if
| I do not apply any of the auto table formats format to the pivot table.
Is
| there a way to keep the column widths from returning to the default width
| after I have adjusted them?
|
| Thanks,
| Rick
|
| --
| Matt Lynn

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Rick - sorry my mistake.
Untick, Auto Format Table and tick preserve formatting. Refresh on open
should also be unticked.

This should do the trick, as it works for my pivot models.
Thanks
Matt

Rick J wrote:
Matt - thanks for the response. I went to pivot table options but did not
find "auto-refresh." I did find "Refresh on Open" and unchecked it as well
as unchecked "Auto format table." I checked "Preserve Formatting." When I
apply the Table 8 format then reduce the column width it still goes back to
the original column width when I refresh the data. All other formatting
appears to be preserved other than column width. Hmmm.... any other
suggestions? I'm using Excel 200 at home and Excel 2003 at work - not sure
if there is a difference when it comes to this issue.

Rick

| go to the pivot table options, untick auto-refresh, and make sure preserve
| formatting is ticked
[quoted text clipped - 11 lines]

--
Matt Lynn

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Matt,

I guess what I am figuring out is that I cannot use the "Table 8" format for
my pivot table and maintain the reduced column width. The problem is that I
am grouping days into weeks (7 days) so the labels across the top of the
table look like "12/05/2007 - 12/12/2007". Even though the labels are
rotated 90 degrees therefore the column does not need to be very wide, the
default column width remains wide enough to accommodate the long label if it
were horizontal. For a years worth of information that is a veeeerrrry wide
table that has no chance of being printed on one page of paper. I will just
need to adjust the column widths when I refresh or print. Thanks for you
help.