Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Automatic numbering with letters

I need to automatic number using letters instead of numbers, but after "Z" I
need the lettering to be AA, BB, CC, DD ... and should it go over ZZ, I need
it to be AAA, BBB, CCC, etc. Any help would be fantastic. Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This only allows me to start in cell A1, but with my title rows, I have it
starting in A7. Can the formula be modified to allow me to start with A in
A7 instead of G? Thanks!

"rayybay" wrote in message
I need to automatic number using letters instead of numbers, but after "Z"
need the lettering to be AA, BB, CC, DD ... and should it go over ZZ, I
need
it to be AAA, BBB, CCC, etc. Any help would be fantastic. Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Give this modification to David's formula a try...

=REPT(CHAR(MOD(ROW(A1)-1,26)+65),1+(ROW(A1)-1)/26)

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)