Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Automatic Numbering

Hi,

I am trying to resort to automatic numbering each time I start a new
header.

For example,

Topic 1 in row A1 which will be 1.

Topic 2 in = row A10 which will be 2.

and so on

say upto topic 100 which will be = formula row(A100)

This would be simple enough if I used the formula Row(A1), Row(A2)etc.
However each time a topic is inserted in between the numbers it does
not automatically change and the sequence of numbering will have to be
changed manually which becomes very difficult.

For example if I try to insert row 15 , then the existing 15 will have
to be changed manually to 16 and 16 will have to be changed 17 etc all
the way down and it is a very cumbersome process.

Is there a formula where we can automatically number.

I have been told to use the formula =Header1 and Header2 but it does
not seem to work.

Is there a formula which will take care of automatic numbering.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Fortune,
You need to be more specific. Are topics and numbers in the same
column? Are topics in col A and numbers in col B? How do you tell if
something is a topic? Do you want numbers only next to topics? (the
last one is probably a yes, so much I can tell from your message).

Regards,
Kostis Vezerides