Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Fortune Fortune is offline

Default Automatic Numbering

Hi,

I am trying to resort to automatic numbering each time I start a new
header.

For example,

Topic 1 in row A1 which will be 1.

Topic 2 in = row A10 which will be 2.

and so on

say upto topic 100 which will be = formula row(A100)

This would be simple enough if I used the formula Row(A1), Row(A2)etc.
However each time a topic is inserted in between the numbers it does
not automatically change and the sequence of numbering will have to be
changed manually which becomes very difficult.

For example if I try to insert row 15 , then the existing 15 will have
to be changed manually to 16 and 16 will have to be changed 17 etc all
the way down and it is a very cumbersome process.

Is there a formula where we can automatically number.

I have been told to use the formula =Header1 and Header2 but it does
not seem to work.

Is there a formula which will take care of automatic numbering.

Thanks