Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
john

Default Templates - automatic numbering

I have a template that I want a unique, sequential number
to appear every time the file is opened. Meaning, the first time it is

opened the number could be 101. The next time the template is used,
the file should open with 102 in the designated field and so on.

Any thoughts on how to accomplish this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bob Phillips

Here is one way

Private Const kBaseName As String = "myFile"
Private Const kName As String = "__RefNum__"

Boolean)
Dim iPos As Long
On Error GoTo CleanUp
Application.EnableEvents = False

If IsError(Evaluate(kName)) Then
Me.Names.Add Name:=kName, RefersTo:=1
Else
Me.Names.Add Name:=kName, RefersTo:=Evaluate(kName) + 1
End If

Me.SaveAs Filename:=kBaseName & "_ref_" &
Format(Evaluate(Me.Names(kName).RefersTo), "000") & ".xls"
Cancel = False

CleanUp:
Application.EnableEvents = True
End Sub

'This is workbook event code.

HTH

Bob Phillips

"john" wrote in message
ps.com...
I have a template that I want a unique, sequential number
to appear every time the file is opened. Meaning, the first time it is

opened the number could be 101. The next time the template is used,
the file should open with 102 in the designated field and so on.

Any thoughts on how to accomplish this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Miguel Zapico

You can use the event Workbook_open, and use a macro like this:
Private Sub Workbook_Open()
Worksheets("sheet1").Range("A1").Value =
Worksheets("sheet1").Range("A1").Value + 1
End Sub

The code must be placed in the workbook code area, that can be accessed by
right click on the Excel icon left to the file menu and selecting "View code"

Hope this helps,
Miguel.