Javster95

Default Automatic Numbering

Is there a way to automatic number a spreadsheet? For instances... if I were
to start on column A and row 2 with number 1, would this be possible to
continue numbering going down the spreadsheet? Please assist.
Paul B

Javster. you could grab the fill handle, the little black square in the
bottom right hand, right click and drag down and fill series or put = A2 +1
in A3 and copy down

--
Paul B
Using Excel 2002 & 2003

"Javster95" wrote in message
Is there a way to automatic number a spreadsheet? For instances... if I

were
to start on column A and row 2 with number 1, would this be possible to
continue numbering going down the spreadsheet? Please assist.

Sandy Mann

Or you can enter 1 in A2, 2 in A3, highlight both cells and copy down using
the fill handle to give you a list. The problem with both this and Paul's
method is that if you insert a row you end up with a hole in the numbering.

HTH

Sandy

--
to e-mail direct replace @mailinator.com with @tiscali.co.uk

"Javster95" wrote in message
Is there a way to automatic number a spreadsheet? For instances... if I

were
to start on column A and row 2 with number 1, would this be possible to
continue numbering going down the spreadsheet? Please assist.

Sandy Mann

...................................... The problem with both this and
Paul's
method is that if you insert a row you end up with a hole in the

numbering.

That being the case you would be better with:

=ROW()-1

in A2 and copied down. You will still get a hole in the numbers if you
insert a new row but now at least all youhave to do is to drag down the
formula from the row above.

HTH

Sandy
--

"Javster95" wrote in message
Is there a way to automatic number a spreadsheet? For instances... if I

were
to start on column A and row 2 with number 1, would this be possible to
continue numbering going down the spreadsheet? Please assist.

Peo Sjoblom

You could dodge that as well with

=ROW()-ROW($B$2)+1

where B2 represents the cell where you'd put the formula, this will adapt to
inserted rows

Peo Sjoblom

"Javster95" wrote in message
Is there a way to automatic number a spreadsheet? For instances... if

were
to start on column A and row 2 with number 1, would this be possible to
continue numbering going down the spreadsheet? Please assist.

Sandy Mann

Thank you for your input Peo. I recall now that I have actually been told
that way of avoiding the numbering going wrong when a row is inserted above
the start of the formulas - in fact I am not sure that it was not you
that told me the last time. It reminds me of a time when "Big Daddy" Amin
chucked all the Asians out of Uganda. One girl came to work in the office
of the engineering firm that I was working in at the time - much to the
disgust of the woman who ran the office -and she, (the office manager),
was often hear to say, "I've told you twice - I won't tell you a second
time!" She never did work out why we were all laughing at her.

I'll try not to make it a third time<g

Regards

Sandy