-   -   Automatic numbering with letters (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/201002-automatic-numbering-letters.html)

rayybay

Automatic numbering with letters

I need to automatic number using letters instead of numbers, but after "Z" I
need the lettering to be AA, BB, CC, DD ... and should it go over ZZ, I need
it to be AAA, BBB, CCC, etc. Any help would be fantastic. Thanks!

David Biddulph[_2_]

Automatic numbering with letters

=REPT(CHAR(MOD(ROW()-1,26)+65),1+(ROW()-1)/26)
--
David Biddulph

"rayybay" wrote in message
I need to automatic number using letters instead of numbers, but after "Z"
need the lettering to be AA, BB, CC, DD ... and should it go over ZZ, I
need
it to be AAA, BBB, CCC, etc. Any help would be fantastic. Thanks!

rayybay

Automatic numbering with letters

This only allows me to start in cell A1, but with my title rows, I have it
starting in A7. Can the formula be modified to allow me to start with A in
A7 instead of G? Thanks!

"rayybay" wrote in message
I need to automatic number using letters instead of numbers, but after "Z"
need the lettering to be AA, BB, CC, DD ... and should it go over ZZ, I
need
it to be AAA, BBB, CCC, etc. Any help would be fantastic. Thanks!

Rick Rothstein

Automatic numbering with letters

Give this modification to David's formula a try...

=REPT(CHAR(MOD(ROW(A1)-1,26)+65),1+(ROW(A1)-1)/26)

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"rayybay" wrote in message
I need to automatic number using letters instead of numbers, but after
"Z"
need the lettering to be AA, BB, CC, DD ... and should it go over ZZ, I
need
it to be AAA, BBB, CCC, etc. Any help would be fantastic. Thanks!

David Biddulph[_2_]

Automatic numbering with letters

Use ROW(A1) in the formula, instead of ROW()
--
David Biddulph

"rayybay" wrote in message
I need to automatic number using letters instead of numbers, but after
"Z"
need the lettering to be AA, BB, CC, DD ... and should it go over ZZ, I
need
it to be AAA, BBB, CCC, etc. Any help would be fantastic. Thanks!

rayybay

Automatic numbering with letters

FANTASTIC!!!! Thank you both!!