Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Password Problem

Hi everyone,

I'm using Office 2K3 and in one of file I put a password and now I forget
that password. Is there any way to get the contents of that file or to break
the password for the same.

As that data is very much important for me and I need to forward that data
to the management and it's very urgent.

Even that data can not be re-arranged from anywhere.

So please help if anybody have any suggestion..

Every suggestion will be appreciated ....

Thank you in advance ...........
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Do anybody have any suggestion for the same.

I'm even not able to open the file ..

Please help ..............

"Miki" wrote:

Hi everyone,

I'm using Office 2K3 and in one of file I put a password and now I forget
that password. Is there any way to get the contents of that file or to break
the password for the same.

As that data is very much important for me and I need to forward that data
to the management and it's very urgent.

Even that data can not be re-arranged from anywhere.

So please help if anybody have any suggestion..

Every suggestion will be appreciated ....

Thank you in advance ...........

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

Check this site as it could help.

http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/removepwords.html

Hope this helps,

Gav

"Miki" wrote:

Hi everyone,

I'm using Office 2K3 and in one of file I put a password and now I forget
that password. Is there any way to get the contents of that file or to break
the password for the same.

As that data is very much important for me and I need to forward that data
to the management and it's very urgent.

Even that data can not be re-arranged from anywhere.

So please help if anybody have any suggestion..

Every suggestion will be appreciated ....

Thank you in advance ...........

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for replying Gav,

But that site tell about breaking internal passwords

And i've given password for opening the file and I'm not able to open the
file without the password.

Till the time file is not been opened i can't go to the editor also and
can't run the macro for that.

Kindly help if any suggestion is there for the same ...

"Miki" wrote:

Hi everyone,

I'm using Office 2K3 and in one of file I put a password and now I forget
that password. Is there any way to get the contents of that file or to break
the password for the same.

As that data is very much important for me and I need to forward that data
to the management and it's very urgent.

Even that data can not be re-arranged from anywhere.

So please help if anybody have any suggestion..

Every suggestion will be appreciated ....

Thank you in advance ...........

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JMB JMB is offline

there is also a link on that page that takes you to a discussion of the
password to open and subsequent links to programs or companies that will
break the password. I've never used any, so can't recommend one or the other.

"Miki" wrote:

Hi everyone,

I'm using Office 2K3 and in one of file I put a password and now I forget
that password. Is there any way to get the contents of that file or to break
the password for the same.

As that data is very much important for me and I need to forward that data
to the management and it's very urgent.

Even that data can not be re-arranged from anywhere.

So please help if anybody have any suggestion..

Every suggestion will be appreciated ....

Thank you in advance ...........

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks JMB.

But I've checked out all the links on that page and either they are for 3 to
4 digit password or are paid...

Isn't there any other wayout or any other tool to crack xl password...

Even if anytype of programming can do it then please let me know about the
same.

I'll be really thankful as it's really hampering my work ...

"Miki" wrote:

Hi everyone,

I'm using Office 2K3 and in one of file I put a password and now I forget
that password. Is there any way to get the contents of that file or to break
the password for the same.

As that data is very much important for me and I need to forward that data
to the management and it's very urgent.

Even that data can not be re-arranged from anywhere.

So please help if anybody have any suggestion..

Every suggestion will be appreciated ....

Thank you in advance ...........

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

File passwords are harder to crack than internal passwords.

You will probably have to shell out some money to get your file open.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

"Miki" wrote:

Hi everyone,

I'm using Office 2K3 and in one of file I put a password and now I forget
that password. Is there any way to get the contents of that file or to break
the password for the same.

As that data is very much important for me and I need to forward that data
to the management and it's very urgent.

Even that data can not be re-arranged from anywhere.

So please help if anybody have any suggestion..

Every suggestion will be appreciated ....

Thank you in advance ...........

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JMB JMB is offline

If I knew how to crack it programmatically, I'd write a password cracking
utility and charge people for it as there is a bit more work involved. As
Gord said, the file protection is not as weak as the internal protection.

"Miki" wrote:

Hi everyone,

I'm using Office 2K3 and in one of file I put a password and now I forget
that password. Is there any way to get the contents of that file or to break
the password for the same.

As that data is very much important for me and I need to forward that data
to the management and it's very urgent.

Even that data can not be re-arranged from anywhere.

So please help if anybody have any suggestion..

Every suggestion will be appreciated ....

Thank you in advance ...........

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JMB JMB is offline

If there was an easy way to retrieve the data, they couldn't label the
feature "protection" and it would defeat the reason you protected the file in
the first place. On JE McGimpsey's website (link already given), he noted
you may be able to view the layout/data with a hex editor. And since there
are a number of XL file cracking utilities available, you are correct that
there is a way to do it - I'm just saying it's unrealistic to expect someone
who has no vested interest in retrieving your data to invest that kind of
time in developing the utility and not charge you for it. I've visited this
site for years and have never seen a suggestion for this problem that didn't
involve $$.