Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Sum If in a Budget

I'm trying to sum monthly amounts for a given month in my budget
spreadsheet, without success.

Col A has DUE DATE (as dd/mm/yy)
Col B has AMOUNT (as dollars)
Col C has CATEGORIES (Rent, Utilities, Car etc)

Elsewhere I have a table headed with MONTHS, and a list all my CATEGORIES.

I want the table populated with $ amounts being the total of each
CATEGORIES under each of the MONTHS cols. i.e.

In cells G1-R1, I have col headers "Jan 09" through to "Dec 09", and
In cell F2, I enter a category "Car"
In cell G2, I want the total amount spent in "Jan 09" for "Car"

Something like "Sum if DUE DATE is in JAN 09, and CATEGORY=CAR"

Could someone help out with a formular that will achieve this.

I realize I can get this result using filters, but this does not satisfy
my reporting needs.

Tks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JMB JMB is offline

=Sumproduct(--(Text(DueDates, "mmm yy")=G$1), --(Categories=$F2), Amount)

replace Duedates, Categories, and Amount with the proper range references.
Also, I'm assuming G1 is text. If it is actually text then replace G$1 with

Text(G$1, "mmm yy")

"Ricky" wrote:

I'm trying to sum monthly amounts for a given month in my budget
spreadsheet, without success.

Col A has DUE DATE (as dd/mm/yy)
Col B has AMOUNT (as dollars)
Col C has CATEGORIES (Rent, Utilities, Car etc)

Elsewhere I have a table headed with MONTHS, and a list all my CATEGORIES.

I want the table populated with $ amounts being the total of each
CATEGORIES under each of the MONTHS cols. i.e.

In cells G1-R1, I have col headers "Jan 09" through to "Dec 09", and
In cell F2, I enter a category "Car"
In cell G2, I want the total amount spent in "Jan 09" for "Car"

Something like "Sum if DUE DATE is in JAN 09, and CATEGORY=CAR"

Could someone help out with a formular that will achieve this.

I realize I can get this result using filters, but this does not satisfy
my reporting needs.

Tks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JMB JMB is offline

you're welcome. also, i meant to say

If G1 is actually a *number* then replace G$1 with
Text(G$1, "mmm yy")

"Ricky" wrote:

Perfect JBM - thanks!

"Ricky" wrote:

I'm trying to sum monthly amounts for a given month in my budget
spreadsheet, without success.

Col A has DUE DATE (as dd/mm/yy)
Col B has AMOUNT (as dollars)
Col C has CATEGORIES (Rent, Utilities, Car etc)

Elsewhere I have a table headed with MONTHS, and a list all my CATEGORIES.

I want the table populated with $ amounts being the total of each
CATEGORIES under each of the MONTHS cols. i.e.

In cells G1-R1, I have col headers "Jan 09" through to "Dec 09", and
In cell F2, I enter a category "Car"
In cell G2, I want the total amount spent in "Jan 09" for "Car"

Something like "Sum if DUE DATE is in JAN 09, and CATEGORY=CAR"

Could someone help out with a formular that will achieve this.

I realize I can get this result using filters, but this does not satisfy
my reporting needs.

Tks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Suggest you put all data into one worksheet and into columns
eg.
Col A has DUE DATE (as dd/mm/yy)
Col B month
Col C has AMOUNT (as dollars)
Col D has CATEGORIES (Rent, Utilities, Car etc)

for yr reporting, you are either use pivot table or sumproduct formula
(very similar to sumif, except you can put more than multi-conditions).

The above suggestion is also useful if you have to change your reporting
dimension, you can also extra set of info by adding columns.

I hope this help

"Ricky" wrote in message
. au...
I'm trying to sum monthly amounts for a given month in my budget
spreadsheet, without success.

Col A has DUE DATE (as dd/mm/yy)
Col B has AMOUNT (as dollars)
Col C has CATEGORIES (Rent, Utilities, Car etc)

Elsewhere I have a table headed with MONTHS, and a list all my CATEGORIES.

I want the table populated with $ amounts being the total of each
CATEGORIES under each of the MONTHS cols. i.e.

In cells G1-R1, I have col headers "Jan 09" through to "Dec 09", and
In cell F2, I enter a category "Car"
In cell G2, I want the total amount spent in "Jan 09" for "Car"

Something like "Sum if DUE DATE is in JAN 09, and CATEGORY=CAR"

Could someone help out with a formular that will achieve this.

I realize I can get this result using filters, but this does not satisfy
my reporting needs.

Tks

Budget MACAVITY500 Excel Worksheet Functions 3 January 30th 07 11:41 PM
Divide Monthly Sales Budget to Day Budget Benedikt Fridbjornsson Excel Worksheet Functions 2 January 10th 06 03:42 PM
Budget John Excel Worksheet Functions 9 October 4th 05 11:06 AM
Budget jba Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 2 August 22nd 05 08:14 AM
how to do a budget marky Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 1 February 18th 05 04:36 AM