Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Cross-posting

How do I cross-post to more than one discussion group. I had a question that
I wanted to post to both the Excel Programming discussion group and the Excel
Worksheet Functions d.g. When I went to "Advanced Options" and entered both
discussion group names, it wouldn't take the post, whether I separated the
names with commas or with semi-colons. I'm new to this, so is there
something I need to know about "full USENET designations" for the discussion
groups?
--
Sociopath
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"is there something I need to know"

Yes, don't cross post. It's a real time waster.

Most responders monitor the main groups, including .programming and
..worksheet.functions. Post to either one of these.

Regards,
Fred.

"SwearBear" wrote in message
How do I cross-post to more than one discussion group. I had a question
that
I wanted to post to both the Excel Programming discussion group and the
Excel
Worksheet Functions d.g. When I went to "Advanced Options" and entered
both
discussion group names, it wouldn't take the post, whether I separated the
names with commas or with semi-colons. I'm new to this, so is there
something I need to know about "full USENET designations" for the
discussion
groups?
--
Sociopath

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

One of the posts I read yesterday was by a MS MVP who was chastising someone
for posting the same question to two different discussion groups and telling
him what a waste of time THAT was. He suggested "cross-posting" as
responders would see just the one question and their answer(s) would
automatically show up in either group. That way they would not be spending
their time answering the same question twice. I think it's set up that way
purposely - it made sense to me. As I said, the person he was chastising was
sending multiple copies of the same question to multiple discussion groups.
That was not my intent.
--
Sociopath

"SwearBear" wrote in message
How do I cross-post to more than one discussion group. I had a question
that
I wanted to post to both the Excel Programming discussion group and the
Excel
Worksheet Functions d.g. When I went to "Advanced Options" and entered
both
discussion group names, it wouldn't take the post, whether I separated the
names with commas or with semi-colons. I'm new to this, so is there
something I need to know about "full USENET designations" for the
discussion
groups?
--
Sociopath

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Cross posting as you describe is ok but multi-posting is a frowned upon.

Sorry, can't help with how to cross post, you're using the web interface.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"SwearBear" wrote in message
How do I cross-post to more than one discussion group. I had a
question
that
I wanted to post to both the Excel Programming discussion group and the
Excel
Worksheet Functions d.g. When I went to "Advanced Options" and entered
both
discussion group names, it wouldn't take the post, whether I separated
the
names with commas or with semi-colons. I'm new to this, so is there
something I need to know about "full USENET designations" for the
discussion
groups?
--
Sociopath

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I don't use a web interface for newsgroup participation as I find the
newsgroup reader in Outlook Express (Windows Mail in Vista) quite
satisfactory. I don't think you can cross-post from a web interface to
newsgroups. If you were using a newsgroup reader (personally, I think they
are a much better method of working with newsgroups), you would put all the
newsgroup names (comma delineated) in the Newsgroups field on the Reply To
Group message.

Rick

"SwearBear" wrote in message
How do I cross-post to more than one discussion group. I had a
question
that
I wanted to post to both the Excel Programming discussion group and the
Excel
Worksheet Functions d.g. When I went to "Advanced Options" and entered
both
discussion group names, it wouldn't take the post, whether I separated
the
names with commas or with semi-colons. I'm new to this, so is there
something I need to know about "full USENET designations" for the
discussion
groups?
--
Sociopath

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks. I don't use Outlook Express, but I guess I will have to look into
what "Newsgroup readers" are. I'm new to this 'discussion group' thing, but
I did see something about newsgroups in the new member information. I'll try
to find it again and see if that helps. Right now, I don't even know what a
Newsgroup is...
--
Sociopath

"SwearBear" wrote in message
How do I cross-post to more than one discussion group. I had a
question
that
I wanted to post to both the Excel Programming discussion group and the
Excel
Worksheet Functions d.g. When I went to "Advanced Options" and entered
both
discussion group names, it wouldn't take the post, whether I separated
the
names with commas or with semi-colons. I'm new to this, so is there
something I need to know about "full USENET designations" for the
discussion
groups?
--
Sociopath

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Saved from a previous post:

If you have Outlook Express installed, try clicking on these links (or copy and
paste into MSIE).

(and a few more for MSWord)

(You can always connect to more later)

Here are some links that explain it better:

Chip Pearson has some notes written by Leonard Meads at:
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/DirectConnect.htm

David McRitchie's notes at:
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/xlnews.htm
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/oe6.htm
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/oe6nws01.htm

Tushar Mehta's notes at:
http://www.tushar-mehta.com/misc_tut...e_ng/index.htm

And if you're looking for old posts:

Or you can use google (maybe a few hours behind) to search for stuff you've
posted (and find the replies, too)

http://groups.google.com/advanced_gr...Excel*&num=100

Ron de Bruin has an excel addin that you may like:
http://www.rondebruin.nl/Google.htm

"SwearBear" wrote in message
How do I cross-post to more than one discussion group. I had a
question
that
I wanted to post to both the Excel Programming discussion group and the
Excel
Worksheet Functions d.g. When I went to "Advanced Options" and entered
both
discussion group names, it wouldn't take the post, whether I separated
the
names with commas or with semi-colons. I'm new to this, so is there
something I need to know about "full USENET designations" for the
discussion
groups?
--
Sociopath

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You're right, there's a difference between cross-posting and multi-posting.
Regardless, they are both time wasters, both for you and the responders. Had
you asked your question initially in either of the discussion boards, you
would have had your answer by now.

Regards,
Fred.

"SwearBear" wrote in message
How do I cross-post to more than one discussion group. I had a
question
that
I wanted to post to both the Excel Programming discussion group and the
Excel
Worksheet Functions d.g. When I went to "Advanced Options" and entered
both
discussion group names, it wouldn't take the post, whether I separated
the
names with commas or with semi-colons. I'm new to this, so is there
something I need to know about "full USENET designations" for the
discussion
groups?
--
Sociopath

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It's perfectly fine to cross-post as opposed to multi-post which is the real
time waster

Peo Sjoblom

"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" wrote in
message ...

"SwearBear" wrote in message
How do I cross-post to more than one discussion group. I had a
question
that
I wanted to post to both the Excel Programming discussion group and
the
Excel
Worksheet Functions d.g. When I went to "Advanced Options" and
entered
both
discussion group names, it wouldn't take the post, whether I
separated the
names with commas or with semi-colons. I'm new to this, so is there
something I need to know about "full USENET designations" for the
discussion
groups?
--
Sociopath

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you so much. I don't use Outlook Express (use straight Outlook), but
you've given me plenty of research to do to keep me busy for awhile. Much
appreciated!
--
Sociopath

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Outlook will fire up Outlook Express to read Newsgroups.

SwearBear wrote:

Thank you so much. I don't use Outlook Express (use straight Outlook), but
you've given me plenty of research to do to keep me busy for awhile. Much
appreciated!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Certainly this post has been a time waster for everyone involved. This is
not an Excel question at all. It would have been better posted to an Outlook
Express group. It's been a time waster for SwearBear. He would have had his
answer by now if he had simply posted to one newsgroup.

You're correct that cross-posting when done correctly shouldn't waste time,
because the system should take care of posting reponses to all groups. My
point is that expecially in these Excel groups, it's unnecessary because
most everyone monitors the popular groups.

I stand by my advice that he would have been far better off just to post to
one group.

Regards,
Fred.

"SwearBear" wrote in message
How do I cross-post to more than one discussion group. I had a
question
that
I wanted to post to both the Excel Programming discussion group and
the
Excel
Worksheet Functions d.g. When I went to "Advanced Options" and
entered
both
discussion group names, it wouldn't take the post, whether I
separated the
names with commas or with semi-colons. I'm new to this, so is there
something I need to know about "full USENET designations" for the
discussion
groups?
--
Sociopath

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Dave,

I don't know what happened to the last post I sent you in reply, but I
wanted to tell you, "Thank You" for all of the links. I don't use Outlook
Express, but I will research these links as soon as I have the time.
--
Sociopath

"SwearBear" wrote in message
How do I cross-post to more than one discussion group. I had a
question
that
I wanted to post to both the Excel Programming discussion group and the
Excel
Worksheet Functions d.g. When I went to "Advanced Options" and entered
both
discussion group names, it wouldn't take the post, whether I separated
the
names with commas or with semi-colons. I'm new to this, so is there
something I need to know about "full USENET designations" for the
discussion
groups?
--
Sociopath

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Rick,

I did and it doesn't make sense to me that a service like this would
provide the ability to cross-post (not multi-post) unless it served a useful
purpose. I'm sure that when you have a question and you're not really sure
which group to post it in, cross-posting would be the way to go. I have a
question posted in Excel Worksheet Functions, "Counting from the Bottom Up",
that I tried to cross-post but couldn't. I wasn't sure if the experts
monitoring Worksheet Functions would answer the question as I was concerned
that it would be a macro programming issue and that it should be posted under
Excel Programming. I don't know why the site would have separate groups
unless they were not directly tied to each other. I think cross-posting
would have been a legitimate way to post my question, even though I got a
great answer back right away from T. Valko.
--
Sociopath

"SwearBear" wrote in message
How do I cross-post to more than one discussion group. I had a
question
that
I wanted to post to both the Excel Programming discussion group and
the
Excel
Worksheet Functions d.g. When I went to "Advanced Options" and
entered
both
discussion group names, it wouldn't take the post, whether I separated
the
names with commas or with semi-colons. I'm new to this, so is there
something I need to know about "full USENET designations" for the
discussion
groups?
--
Sociopath

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Fred,

I don't know that this subject is a time-waster when you consider the
number of posts it has received, just on this Topic. It's obviously a
controversial question and I've gained a lot of insight into it and the group
discussions process. (I'm new, remember?) This may not be what you consider
an Excel question, but as I mentioned much earlier, I read a post in the
Excel groups that had a MS MVP chastising a poster about multi-posting his
questions in more than one group. He is the one, as I recall, that mentioned
the cross-posting option vs. the multi-posting. I think it's a valid
question for a 'newbie' to ask in any group. I asked it in Excel General
Questions.
As far as your suggestion that this question should have been posted to
an Outlook Express group, you're ASSUMING that everyone who logs on here is
using Outlook Express. Guess what? I DON'T and I'm sure ther're many others
who don't!
You're right about some of these posts being a time-waster for me, but I
have gotten some good information and a much better understanding of the
cross-post issue and when & why cross-posting makes sense. How on earth
would I, or you, for that matter, know that, "most everyone monitors the
popular groups??? That seems like another huge ASSUMPTION on your part. I
have noticed that certain names appear often in answers to posts in one group
as opposed to OTHER certain names predominant in another group. That comes
from looking at lots of posts in both the Programming and Worksheet Functions
groups in the last few days, not to mention all of them I went through in
this group. There's a time & place for everything.
--
Sociopath

"Fred Smith" wrote:

Certainly this post has been a time waster for everyone involved. This is
not an Excel question at all. It would have been better posted to an Outlook
Express group. It's been a time waster for SwearBear. He would have had his
answer by now if he had simply posted to one newsgroup.

You're correct that cross-posting when done correctly shouldn't waste time,
because the system should take care of posting reponses to all groups. My
point is that expecially in these Excel groups, it's unnecessary because
most everyone monitors the popular groups.

I stand by my advice that he would have been far better off just to post to
one group.

Regards,
Fred.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Bob,

I found a Help article in Outlook titled, "Start the newsgroup reader€¯ -
I'll follow up on that and see where it takes me.

Thanks...
--
Sociopath

SwearBear wrote:

Thank you so much. I don't use Outlook Express (use straight Outlook), but
you've given me plenty of research to do to keep me busy for awhile. Much
appreciated!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Looks incredible.
Thanks, again!
--
Sociopath

"Bob I" wrote:

Most welcome, and here is a bit more useful bits for you.

http://aumha.org/nntp.htm

SwearBear wrote:

Bob,

I found a Help article in Outlook titled, "Start the newsgroup readerĆ¢‚¬Ā¯ -
I'll follow up on that and see where it takes me.

Thanks...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You're welcome, have a great day!

SwearBear wrote:

Looks incredible.
Thanks, again!

[OT] posting tomek gomek Excel Worksheet Functions 24 July 28th 07 03:16 AM
Excel 2007 Macro/Link Issue (apologies for cross-posting) MorgSz Links and Linking in Excel 2 July 25th 07 08:12 PM
the owner of posting should be able to delete the posting Mahendra Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 7 August 8th 05 07:21 PM
posting values lisa New Users to Excel 7 March 18th 05 04:35 PM
Posting in the next row Greg Excel Worksheet Functions 1 January 18th 05 08:57 PM