Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson Dave Peterson is offline

Default Cross-posting

Saved from a previous post:

If you have Outlook Express installed, try clicking on these links (or copy and
paste into MSIE).

(and a few more for MSWord)

(You can always connect to more later)

Here are some links that explain it better:

Chip Pearson has some notes written by Leonard Meads at:
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/DirectConnect.htm

David McRitchie's notes at:
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/xlnews.htm
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/oe6.htm
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/oe6nws01.htm

Tushar Mehta's notes at:
http://www.tushar-mehta.com/misc_tut...e_ng/index.htm

And if you're looking for old posts:

Or you can use google (maybe a few hours behind) to search for stuff you've
posted (and find the replies, too)

http://groups.google.com/advanced_gr...Excel*&num=100

Ron de Bruin has an excel addin that you may like:
http://www.rondebruin.nl/Google.htm

SwearBear wrote:

Thanks. I don't use Outlook Express, but I guess I will have to look into
what "Newsgroup readers" are. I'm new to this 'discussion group' thing, but
I did see something about newsgroups in the new member information. I'll try
to find it again and see if that helps. Right now, I don't even know what a
Newsgroup is...
--
Sociopath

"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" wrote:

I don't use a web interface for newsgroup participation as I find the
newsgroup reader in Outlook Express (Windows Mail in Vista) quite
satisfactory. I don't think you can cross-post from a web interface to
newsgroups. If you were using a newsgroup reader (personally, I think they
are a much better method of working with newsgroups), you would put all the
newsgroup names (comma delineated) in the Newsgroups field on the Reply To
Group message.

Rick

"SwearBear" wrote in message
One of the posts I read yesterday was by a MS MVP who was chastising
someone
for posting the same question to two different discussion groups and
telling
him what a waste of time THAT was. He suggested "cross-posting" as
responders would see just the one question and their answer(s) would
automatically show up in either group. That way they would not be
spending
their time answering the same question twice. I think it's set up that
way
purposely - it made sense to me. As I said, the person he was chastising
was
sending multiple copies of the same question to multiple discussion
groups.
That was not my intent.
--
Sociopath

"Fred Smith" wrote:

"is there something I need to know"

Yes, don't cross post. It's a real time waster.

Most responders monitor the main groups, including .programming and
..worksheet.functions. Post to either one of these.

Regards,
Fred.

"SwearBear" wrote in message
How do I cross-post to more than one discussion group. I had a
question
that
I wanted to post to both the Excel Programming discussion group and the
Excel
Worksheet Functions d.g. When I went to "Advanced Options" and entered
both
discussion group names, it wouldn't take the post, whether I separated
the
names with commas or with semi-colons. I'm new to this, so is there
something I need to know about "full USENET designations" for the
discussion
groups?
--
Sociopath