Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Open File menu sort alphabetical.

Using MS Office Professional Edition 2003.

In MS Excel and MS Word, when I want to open a file (File - Open) the OPEN
box has the folders and files sorted in reverse alphabetical order (Z to A).
How do I get them to sort in alphabetical order?

Until last week, the folders were sorted in alphabetical order and they have
suddenly changed to reverse alphabetical order without any input from me.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Celle,

In the file open dialog box, click on the views icon at the top
of the dialog (usually next to the create folder icon)
and go to Arrange IconsBy Name.

Doing this successive times toggles between A-Z & Z-A.

HTH
Martin

"Celle" wrote in message
Using MS Office Professional Edition 2003.

In MS Excel and MS Word, when I want to open a file (File - Open) the OPEN
box has the folders and files sorted in reverse alphabetical order (Z to
A).
How do I get them to sort in alphabetical order?

Until last week, the folders were sorted in alphabetical order and they
have
suddenly changed to reverse alphabetical order without any input from me.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the suggestion. I toggled several times between Icons, List,
Details, Properties etc, but the folders stay sorted Z-A. I don't have an
option to "Arrange Icons by Name" - assumed that List was the option you
meant by this.

I would welcome any other suggestions from anyone!

Celle

"Celle" wrote in message
Using MS Office Professional Edition 2003.

In MS Excel and MS Word, when I want to open a file (File - Open) the OPEN
box has the folders and files sorted in reverse alphabetical order (Z to
A).
How do I get them to sort in alphabetical order?

Until last week, the folders were sorted in alphabetical order and they
have
suddenly changed to reverse alphabetical order without any input from me.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Celle,

That's where it is in XL2000. It may be in different places in later
versions, but the funcionality will still be there as it is supplied by
Windows and not Excel. Perhaps try right clicking on the white
space in the dialog box or ...... I'm not really sure where else
but I'm sure it will be there somewhere.

You can see the same sort of icon and right click functionality in
Windows Explorer in, I believe, any version of Windows.

HTH
Martin

"Celle" wrote in message
Using MS Office Professional Edition 2003.

In MS Excel and MS Word, when I want to open a file (File - Open) the
OPEN
box has the folders and files sorted in reverse alphabetical order (Z
A).
How do I get them to sort in alphabetical order?

Until last week, the folders were sorted in alphabetical order and they
have
suddenly changed to reverse alphabetical order without any input from
me.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try clicking the View icon at the top right of the dialog.
Choose Details.
You'll see headers for each column
Click on the header and you'll sort by that column.
(it's a toggle, so you can sort ascending or descending)

ps. rightclick on the header and you can add more fields to the dialog.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Celle,

Go to File Open. In the Open box you can find your filenames and on top of
that a Name tab. Click that tab and toggle. When it comes A-Z mode, you
click cancel and close the box. Next time or at any time when you go to File
Open, it will be in the A-Z order.

Regards,

Jaleel

"Celle" wrote:

Using MS Office Professional Edition 2003.

In MS Excel and MS Word, when I want to open a file (File - Open) the OPEN
box has the folders and files sorted in reverse alphabetical order (Z to A).
How do I get them to sort in alphabetical order?

Until last week, the folders were sorted in alphabetical order and they have
suddenly changed to reverse alphabetical order without any input from me.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

THANK YOU!!!!

Thank you Dave and Jaleel.

It worked! Now I see how easy it was (thanks to you) I feel all kinds of a
fool for not realising it myself.

Celle

Celle wrote:

Using MS Office Professional Edition 2003.

In MS Excel and MS Word, when I want to open a file (File - Open) the OPEN
box has the folders and files sorted in reverse alphabetical order (Z to A).
How do I get them to sort in alphabetical order?

Until last week, the folders were sorted in alphabetical order and they have
suddenly changed to reverse alphabetical order without any input from me.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks all that helped Celle. I have a simular problem. Up until recently
my files when I used the file open or browse dialogs, my entries were sorted
by name. Then I used the views and sorted by reverse order dates to try to
find a file and now everytime I use the dialog I have to go back into views
and changed to detail view and sort by name again.

Can anyone help me find where the system has stored this default. It's a
very annoying problem, so any help will surely be appreciated.

Ralph