Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Cursor 'sticking' to cells

I get an intermittent problem in Excel whereby the cursor 'sticks' to one
cell, and any attempts to move the mouse only result in highlighting adjacent
cells. Clicking the mouse doesn't 'detach' the cursor, and while in this
state, the mouse can't be moved outside the worksheet cells area to close or
minimise the worksheet, or to invoke a menu function or click a button on a
toolbar. In fact, the only way out of it seems to be Ctrl/Alt + Del to bring
up the Windows Task Manager then 'tab' to Excel to 'end task' whereupon Excel
crashes, after a message to say it cannot be closed. Re-opening the program
doesn't fix it, you have to re-boot. Why does this happen, how do I avoid it
and how (if at all) can the program be safely recovered without a complete
re-boot? Thanks in advance.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If not Excel 2007 could be you have hit the F8 key which puts you in
EXTended mode.........see EXT on status bar.

Hit F8 to toggle it off.

Or try not-so-gently tapping the wheel on your wheelie mouse.

If Excel 2007, it seems to be a bug.

Don't know if there is a fix or not.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 1 Aug 2008 15:40:01 -0700, browniebodrum
wrote:

I get an intermittent problem in Excel whereby the cursor 'sticks' to one
cell, and any attempts to move the mouse only result in highlighting adjacent
cells. Clicking the mouse doesn't 'detach' the cursor, and while in this
state, the mouse can't be moved outside the worksheet cells area to close or
minimise the worksheet, or to invoke a menu function or click a button on a
toolbar. In fact, the only way out of it seems to be Ctrl/Alt + Del to bring
up the Windows Task Manager then 'tab' to Excel to 'end task' whereupon Excel
crashes, after a message to say it cannot be closed. Re-opening the program
doesn't fix it, you have to re-boot. Why does this happen, how do I avoid it
and how (if at all) can the program be safely recovered without a complete
re-boot? Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for the lightning reply, Don. Now, of course, it will no doubt behave
itself perfectly for months on end before I can try this solution...
browniebodrum