Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
browniebodrum browniebodrum is offline

Default Cursor 'sticking' to cells

I get an intermittent problem in Excel whereby the cursor 'sticks' to one
cell, and any attempts to move the mouse only result in highlighting adjacent
cells. Clicking the mouse doesn't 'detach' the cursor, and while in this
state, the mouse can't be moved outside the worksheet cells area to close or
minimise the worksheet, or to invoke a menu function or click a button on a
toolbar. In fact, the only way out of it seems to be Ctrl/Alt + Del to bring
up the Windows Task Manager then 'tab' to Excel to 'end task' whereupon Excel
crashes, after a message to say it cannot be closed. Re-opening the program
doesn't fix it, you have to re-boot. Why does this happen, how do I avoid it
and how (if at all) can the program be safely recovered without a complete
re-boot? Thanks in advance.