Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default sub forms in excel?

is it possible to have 4 subforms embeded in 1 big form in excel like access
does? in other words i can enter data into 4 worksheets from the same on
screen form depending on which subform i enter data into.

If it is possible are there any sites i can go to to see examples of how its
done?

thanks
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: sub forms in excel?

Yes, it is possible to have subforms in Excel. However, unlike Access, Excel does not have a built-in subform feature. But there are workarounds that can achieve the same result.

One way to create subforms in Excel is to use the "Group Box" control. This control allows you to group related controls together and display them as a single unit. You can create a group box for each subform and place the relevant controls inside it. Then you can use VBA code to show or hide the group boxes depending on which subform you want to display.

Another way to create subforms in Excel is to use the "Tab Control" control. This control allows you to create multiple tabs, each with its own set of controls. You can create a tab for each subform and place the relevant controls inside it. Then you can use VBA code to switch between the tabs depending on which subform you want to display.
  1. There are many websites and forums where you can find examples of how to create subforms in Excel.
  2. Some good places to start are the Microsoft Excel Community, Excel Easy, and Excel Campus.
  3. You can also search for specific tutorials or examples on Google or YouTube.
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Not with the UserForms that Excel has. Excel is very 2-dimension oriented,
while Access can be thought of as being more 3-dimensional. Excel's forms
and controls don't provide for doing things like displaying a varying number
of returned records in a subform (it doesn't even have subforms). Excel
doesn't have a way to set up relationships between columns on worksheets like
Access does between fields in tables.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings. But someone may know of a site where
something has been worked out either using 3rd party forms or some slick VBA
code to pull this rabbit out of the hat, so keep an eye on your question for
that kind of answer.

"jackrobyn1" wrote:

is it possible to have 4 subforms embeded in 1 big form in excel like access
does? in other words i can enter data into 4 worksheets from the same on
screen form depending on which subform i enter data into.

If it is possible are there any sites i can go to to see examples of how its
done?

thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can mimic the effect with listboxes and a lot of code.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"jackrobyn1" wrote:

is it possible to have 4 subforms embeded in 1 big form in excel like
access
does? in other words i can enter data into 4 worksheets from the same on
screen form depending on which subform i enter data into.

If it is possible are there any sites i can go to to see examples of how
its
done?

thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hadn't thought about using list boxes - good idea. I actually had a lot of
code in mind that would have been building up a new form each time and adding
bunches of text boxes to it. The list boxes would work much better.

"jackrobyn1" wrote:

is it possible to have 4 subforms embeded in 1 big form in excel like
access
does? in other words i can enter data into 4 worksheets from the same on
screen form depending on which subform i enter data into.

If it is possible are there any sites i can go to to see examples of how
its
done?

thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

A handful of listboxes, arrays for whatever might be dumped into the
listboxes. Move the arrays into and out of the listboxes as the user makes
changes. It's a lot of work, but may be easier than (a) learning to use
Access, or (b) building the Excel-Access infrastructure.

- Jon
-------

"jackrobyn1" wrote:

is it possible to have 4 subforms embeded in 1 big form in excel like
access
does? in other words i can enter data into 4 worksheets from the same
on
screen form depending on which subform i enter data into.

If it is possible are there any sites i can go to to see examples of
how
its
done?

thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Good ideas. I'm going to hit him with another question. I think we've been
looking at this a little one sided, or at least I may have been. I've been
thinking about this as something similar to an Access report or several
linked data entry/editing forms. In going back and reviewing the original
question, it may be something less complex -- so I'm going to reply to the OP
once again with a question or two.

"jackrobyn1" wrote:

is it possible to have 4 subforms embeded in 1 big form in excel like
access
does? in other words i can enter data into 4 worksheets from the same
on
screen form depending on which subform i enter data into.

If it is possible are there any sites i can go to to see examples of
how
its
done?

thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

jackrobyn1 - In looking at your original question again, I get the impression
that we may not need a big form with several subforms. You asked "...enter
data into 4 worksheets from the same on screen form, depending on which
subform i enter data into".

What if we phrased it differently: "can you enter data into (up to) 4
worksheets from the same on screen form, depending on WHICH CONTROLS ON THE
FORM I enter data into". At that simple level, the answer is a very
resounding YES - and reasonably easy to accomplish.

Would the way I phrased the question provide a solution for you? The big
form could have indicators showing that if you enter information into various
groups of controls on the form, then the information would be placed
somewhere on a particular worksheet. This could be done. The things to work
out are what information you need to be entering on the form and where it is
to go onto the various worksheets: into specific cells that may always be the
same on a sheet, or into a new row on a sheet, or some combination of those
types of things.