Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How do I set up alternate row shading with Excel 2003?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

See http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.CF.html#rows

--
---
HTH

Bob

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,
Select all data you want to alternately shade.
In conditional Format, Formula is:
=MOD(ROW(),2)=0
Set desired shading format.
OK
Regards - Dave
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

=MOD(SUBTOTAL(3,$A1:$A$2),2)=0

This one will retain the banding when you filter the data.

=MOD(ROW(),2)=0 will not retain the banding through filtering.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 3 Jun 2008 15:36:02 -0700, msk1944

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Gordon,
I didn't know about using subtotal to maintain banding. (Does that mean
boarders?) I usually just include gray boarders in the conditional format.
I tried your formula, but no success - it just colored all cells with the
selected format. What am I doing wrong?
Regards - Dave.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Select a great whack of rows.

FormatCFFormula is: =MOD(SUBTOTAL(3,$A1:$A$2),2)=0

FormatPattern to a nice light gray color.

Nothing to do with borders.

Note the placement of the $ signs.........you want $A1 to be column absolute and
row relative but $A$2 to fix both row and column at absolute.

The SUBTOTAL(3,range) function is same as COUNTA on visible cells that remain
after filtering.

COUNTA counts cells that are not empty.

Gord

"Dave" wrote:

Hi Gordon,
I didn't know about using subtotal to maintain banding. (Does that mean
boarders?) I usually just include gray boarders in the conditional format.
I tried your formula, but no success - it just colored all cells with the
selected format. What am I doing wrong?
Regards - Dave.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Gordon,
Thanks for that. I was trying it on a data-less sheet.
Regards - Dave.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Bob,
Thanks for that. I have no idea why it works. If I did, I guess I'd have
known it needed some data. Care to enlighten me?
Regards - Dave.