Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben Gord Dibben is offline

Default How do I set up alternate row shading with Excel 2003?

Select a great whack of rows.

FormatCFFormula is: =MOD(SUBTOTAL(3,$A1:$A$2),2)=0

FormatPattern to a nice light gray color.

Nothing to do with borders.

Note the placement of the $ signs.........you want $A1 to be column absolute and
row relative but $A$2 to fix both row and column at absolute.

The SUBTOTAL(3,range) function is same as COUNTA on visible cells that remain
after filtering.

COUNTA counts cells that are not empty.

Gord

On Tue, 3 Jun 2008 17:41:01 -0700, Dave wrote:

Oh yeah, now I get it. It still maintains its every-other-row shading, even
after filtering. That would be very cool. Can you please help me make it work?
Dave.

"Dave" wrote:

Hi Gordon,
I didn't know about using subtotal to maintain banding. (Does that mean
boarders?) I usually just include gray boarders in the conditional format.
I tried your formula, but no success - it just colored all cells with the
selected format. What am I doing wrong?
Regards - Dave.