Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Suppress dialog from regserver command

We have Office 2003 and 2007 installed on our systems. Our users were not to
use 2007 yet, but kept getting into it inadvertently (and unknowingly) by
double-clicking files. As a work-around until we go to 2007, we put Excel
and Word regserver command lines in our login to ensure 2003 is the default.
This also fixes an MS 'feature' where Excel spreadsheets open in 2007
regardless of file type or using the Open With menu.

A minor but annoying visual problem is the install dialog boxes that pop up
from these commands. Is there any way to suppress or hide the dialog box. I
have looked for a quiet argument but couldn't find one.

Thanks for any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you shell to DOS and use
regsvr32
you'll see a help screen:
regsvr32 /s
is the silent mode.

"mdullni1 via OfficeKB.com" wrote:

We have Office 2003 and 2007 installed on our systems. Our users were not to
use 2007 yet, but kept getting into it inadvertently (and unknowingly) by
double-clicking files. As a work-around until we go to 2007, we put Excel
and Word regserver command lines in our login to ensure 2003 is the default.
This also fixes an MS 'feature' where Excel spreadsheets open in 2007
regardless of file type or using the Open With menu.

A minor but annoying visual problem is the install dialog boxes that pop up
from these commands. Is there any way to suppress or hide the dialog box. I
have looked for a quiet argument but couldn't find one.

Thanks for any help.

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you for your reply. I'm not sure you understand how we are doing this,
or I don't understand your explanation. On login, we run a BAT file that
includes the lines:
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\excel.exe" /unregserver
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\excel.exe" /regserver
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\winword.exe" /r

to ensure 2003 Word and Excel files open with 2003. When these lines run,
the Windows dialog box with the message "Installing Excel 2003...." pops up
and then closes when install is complete. Is there a way to suppress that
dialog box just for these commands in the BAT file?

Dave Peterson wrote:
If you shell to DOS and use
regsvr32
you'll see a help screen:
regsvr32 /s
is the silent mode.

We have Office 2003 and 2007 installed on our systems. Our users were not to
use 2007 yet, but kept getting into it inadvertently (and unknowingly) by

[quoted text clipped - 12 lines]
Message posted via OfficeKB.com

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Oops.

I thought you were registering a DLL file using regsvr32. I didn't realize that
you were just re-registering excel and word.

I don't know a way of suppressing those dialog boxes.

"mdullni1 via OfficeKB.com" wrote:

Thank you for your reply. I'm not sure you understand how we are doing this,
or I don't understand your explanation. On login, we run a BAT file that
includes the lines:
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\excel.exe" /unregserver
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\excel.exe" /regserver
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\winword.exe" /r

to ensure 2003 Word and Excel files open with 2003. When these lines run,
the Windows dialog box with the message "Installing Excel 2003...." pops up
and then closes when install is complete. Is there a way to suppress that
dialog box just for these commands in the BAT file?

Dave Peterson wrote:
If you shell to DOS and use
regsvr32
you'll see a help screen: