Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Formatting result cell for adding time

I have a column of numbers formatted as h:mm and I want a sum. I have read
the posts about formatting the result cell with brackets around the h. When
I do this, and use the autosum button, I get the pop-up message that there is
an error in my formula. Any suggestions?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Carol
Easy way to do this is to select the first time in your list and select
Format / Cells. select Custom format, and select the hh:mm format. Add square
brackets round the hours - [hh]:mm - and OK. Select Format Painter and copy
the format down your column of numbers, and autosum will give you a total of
the hours and minutes.

"Carol" wrote:

I have a column of numbers formatted as h:mm and I want a sum. I have read
the posts about formatting the result cell with brackets around the h. When
I do this, and use the autosum button, I get the pop-up message that there is
an error in my formula. Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I'm still stumped. I followed your instructions, painted the format through
the end of the column (including the results cell), and when I hit autosum, I
still get the message saying there's an error in the formula. Is it just me??

"Carol" wrote:

I have a column of numbers formatted as h:mm and I want a sum. I have read
the posts about formatting the result cell with brackets around the h. When
I do this, and use the autosum button, I get the pop-up message that there is
an error in my formula. Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

So that tells you the problem. If you look at help for the SUBTOTAL
function, it wants 2 arguments, the second of which is the range that you
want to total. In your case, that argument is missing. I would normally
use the SUM function, rather than SUBTOTAL, but I don't know the structure
of your data.
--
David Biddulph