Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Pheasant Plucker®

Default Adding colour to result in a cell?

Hi there,

I am developing a spreadsheet that uses data validation and a chooser box to
select Y or N and depending upon the result drops a value in the adjacent
box.

This works as expected and depending upon the formula will enter a number
from 1-5 when N is selected from the chooser.

I would like to allocate different colours to result, i.e.

If Y is selected I would like the Y to appear in green in the chooser to
indicate an OK result. In this case there is no value dropped into the
adjacent box when Y is chosen.

If N is selected I would like the N to appear in Red in the chooser and the
result that is dropped in the adjacent box to be coloured accordingly.

For example if 5 is the value then this should be displayed in Red

If a 1 is the result than display this in Cyan etc.

As an example the formula I use to return the result is based upon the
following;

=IF(E19="N",1,"")

Is this possible please?

--
Thanks & regards,
-pp-

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bob Phillips

This should get you started. It assumes the DV box is E5

On Error GoTo ws_exit:
Application.EnableEvents = False
If Not Intersect(Target, Range("E5, E19")) Is Nothing Then
If Range("E5").Value = "Y" Then
Select Case Range("E19").Value
Case 1: Range("E19").Interior.ColorIndex = 1
Case 2: Range("E19").Interior.ColorIndex = 2
Case 3: Range("E19").Interior.ColorIndex = 3
Case 4: Range("E19").Interior.ColorIndex = 4
Case 5: Range("E19").Interior.ColorIndex = 5
Case Else: Range("E19").Interior.ColorIndex = 10
End Select
Else
Select Case Range("E19").Value
Case 1: Range("E19").Interior.ColorIndex = 21
Case 2: Range("E19").Interior.ColorIndex = 22
Case 3: Range("E19").Interior.ColorIndex = 23
Case 4: Range("E19").Interior.ColorIndex = 24
Case 5: Range("E19").Interior.ColorIndex = 8
Case Else: Range("E19").Interior.ColorIndex = 3
End Select

ws_exit:
Application.EnableEvents = True

HTH

Bob Phillips

"Pheasant Plucker®" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
EdMac

If you are not into VBA coding the easiest way to do this is with
conditional formatting.

Ed

--
EdMac
EdMac's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30736

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bob Phillips

Not with 5 values it's not.

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"EdMac" wrote in
message ...

If you are not into VBA coding the easiest way to do this is with
conditional formatting.

Ed

--
EdMac
EdMac's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=504334

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
EdMac

Agreed,Bob, but not clear exactly what is required.

Ed

--
EdMac
EdMac's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30736
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=504334

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Pheasant Plucker®

Thanks for the replies Bob & Ed,

That first reply from you Bob nearly blew my mind...where on earth does that
lot go?

Conditional formatting sounds like it might be easier - if I were to reduce
the number of colours needed from 5 down to 3 or even 2 how would
conditional formatting work?

An example or two would be nice - please excuse my ignorance and bear with
me - I am a complete idiot when it comes to Excel (and many other things
besides! :-)

Thanks & regards,
-=pp=

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bob Phillips

I did explain at the end how to implement it. If you want CF

Select all the cells, starting at let's say A2

Menu FormatConditional Formatting
Change Condition 1 to Formula Is
Add formula of =AND(E5="Y",E19=1)
Click Format
Select Pattern tab
Select red
OK

Click Add
Change Condition 1 to Formula Is
Add formula of =AND(E5="Y",E19=2)
Click Format
Select Pattern tab
Select green
OK

OK

obviously change the cells to suit.

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"Pheasant Plucker®" wrote in message
Thanks for the replies Bob & Ed,

That first reply from you Bob nearly blew my mind...where on earth does

that
lot go?

Conditional formatting sounds like it might be easier - if I were to

reduce
the number of colours needed from 5 down to 3 or even 2 how would
conditional formatting work?

An example or two would be nice - please excuse my ignorance and bear with
me - I am a complete idiot when it comes to Excel (and many other things
besides! :-)

Thanks & regards,
-=pp=

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
EdMac

Bob's reply required you to be able to use VBA - that is fairly advanced
stuff.

With Conditional formatting (Formatconditional formatting), you can
set the format according to what is in the cell OR what is in another
cell in the same sheet.

So if you want the the drop down box to be Red if there is 'N0' in it
Condition1 Cell ValueIs equal to="No"

Then select format and you gett he chance to select the coulour of the
font, cell infill and border.

Then select 'ADD' and you get the chance to set another format - e.g.
for Yes. Repeat the process.

You can use al the normal Excel rules like IF, AND etc to build up
complicated setups.

Hope this helps

Ed