Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Don Don is offline

Default print defaults

My version of Excel 2003 has a print default of "Print entire workbook". I
tried to create Book.xlt and Sheet.xlt with "Active Sheet", but it didn't
work.
Don Fritz
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I don't think I've ever seen Excel default to anything other than Selected
Sheet(s). Very strange. Does it happen in safe mode?

--
Jim
"Don" wrote in message
| My version of Excel 2003 has a print default of "Print entire workbook".
| tried to create Book.xlt and Sheet.xlt with "Active Sheet", but it didn't
| work.
| Don Fritz

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Don Don is offline

In Safe mode, there are no printers available to test. I've started new
workbooks, and old spreedsheets, and all default to print all.
--
Don Fritz

"Don" wrote in message
| My version of Excel 2003 has a print default of "Print entire workbook".
| tried to create Book.xlt and Sheet.xlt with "Active Sheet", but it didn't
| work.
| Don Fritz

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Don,

My excel 2003 install does the same thing. It prints the entire workbook
when I just use the print shortcut button. Though when I choose FilePrint
the default is set to Current Sheet and only prints the current sheet. I
haven't been able to find out to this date how to fix this issue. If you have
resolved this, could you let me know?

Cheers,

Chris.

"Don" wrote in message
| My version of Excel 2003 has a print default of "Print entire workbook".
| tried to create Book.xlt and Sheet.xlt with "Active Sheet", but it didn't
| work.
| Don Fritz

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Don Don is offline

Mine defaults to entire workbook both with the printshortcut and the file
print. I am hoping for a quick fix, but if that fails, I will have to try a
re-install. I read a while back that someone wanted to change the default to
entire workbook, but was told that it wasn't possible??????????????
--
Don Fritz

"Don" wrote in message
| My version of Excel 2003 has a print default of "Print entire workbook".
| tried to create Book.xlt and Sheet.xlt with "Active Sheet", but it didn't
| work.
| Don Fritz

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Strange. I have all my printers available in safe mode.

--
Jim
"Don" wrote in message
| In Safe mode, there are no printers available to test. I've started new
| workbooks, and old spreedsheets, and all default to print all.
| --
| Don Fritz
|

| "Jim Rech" wrote:
|
| I don't think I've ever seen Excel default to anything other than
Selected
| Sheet(s). Very strange. Does it happen in safe mode?
|
| --
| Jim
| "Don" wrote in message
| | My version of Excel 2003 has a print default of "Print entire
workbook".
| | tried to create Book.xlt and Sheet.xlt with "Active Sheet", but it
didn't
| | work.
| | Don Fritz

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Don Don is offline

It has been awhile since I had to go to safe mode. My PC is networked and
the only Safe mode that works is with network options. In safe mode
selecting file-print gives you the message "no printer selected". Going to
add printer, you get the message "print spooler not available in safe mode".
--
Don Fritz

"Don" wrote in message
| In Safe mode, there are no printers available to test. I've started new
| workbooks, and old spreedsheets, and all default to print all.
| --
| Don Fritz
|

| "Jim Rech" wrote:
|
| I don't think I've ever seen Excel default to anything other than
Selected
| Sheet(s). Very strange. Does it happen in safe mode?
|
| --
| Jim
| "Don" wrote in message
| | My version of Excel 2003 has a print default of "Print entire
workbook".
| | tried to create Book.xlt and Sheet.xlt with "Active Sheet", but it
didn't
| | work.
| | Don Fritz

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I'm sorry I meant "Excel safe mode".

From Start-Run enter "Excel.exe /s" (no quotes, there is a space before the
slash)

--
Jim
"Don" wrote in message
| It has been awhile since I had to go to safe mode. My PC is networked and
| the only Safe mode that works is with network options. In safe mode
| selecting file-print gives you the message "no printer selected". Going to
| add printer, you get the message "print spooler not available in safe
mode".
| --
| Don Fritz
|

| "Jim Rech" wrote:
|
| Strange. I have all my printers available in safe mode.
|
| --
| Jim
| "Don" wrote in message
| | In Safe mode, there are no printers available to test. I've started
new
| | workbooks, and old spreedsheets, and all default to print all.
| | --
| | Don Fritz
| |
| |
| | "Jim Rech" wrote:
| |
| | I don't think I've ever seen Excel default to anything other than
| Selected
| | Sheet(s). Very strange. Does it happen in safe mode?
| |
| | --
| | Jim
| | "Don" wrote in message
| | | My version of Excel 2003 has a print default of "Print entire
| workbook".
| | | tried to create Book.xlt and Sheet.xlt with "Active Sheet", but it
| didn't
| | | work.
| | | Don Fritz
| |
| |
| |

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Don Don is offline

I opened excel in excel safe mode. The normal defaults were present-3 sheets
and print active sheet. I saved the open book as Book.xlt and Sheet.xlt.
When I closed and reopened Excel in normal mode the Print all sheets was
there as the default.
--
Don Fritz

"Jim Rech" wrote:

I'm sorry I meant "Excel safe mode".

From Start-Run enter "Excel.exe /s" (no quotes, there is a space before the
slash)

--
Jim
"Don" wrote in message
| It has been awhile since I had to go to safe mode. My PC is networked and
| the only Safe mode that works is with network options. In safe mode
| selecting file-print gives you the message "no printer selected". Going to
| add printer, you get the message "print spooler not available in safe
mode".
| --
| Don Fritz
|

| "Jim Rech" wrote:
|
| Strange. I have all my printers available in safe mode.
|
| --
| Jim
| "Don" wrote in message
| | In Safe mode, there are no printers available to test. I've started
new
| | workbooks, and old spreedsheets, and all default to print all.
| | --
| | Don Fritz
| |
| |
| | "Jim Rech" wrote:
| |
| | I don't think I've ever seen Excel default to anything other than
| Selected
| | Sheet(s). Very strange. Does it happen in safe mode?
| |
| | --
| | Jim
| | "Don" wrote in message
| | | My version of Excel 2003 has a print default of "Print entire
| workbook".
| | | tried to create Book.xlt and Sheet.xlt with "Active Sheet", but it
| didn't
| | | work.
| | | Don Fritz
| |
| |
| |

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Help me here. Forget about templates. If you start Excel in safe mode and
open an existing multi-sheet workbook and open the Print dialog does it have
"Active sheet(s)" selected? And if you do the same with Excel not in safe
mode does it have "Entire workbook" selected?

--
Jim
"Don" wrote in message
|I opened excel in excel safe mode. The normal defaults were present-3
sheets
| and print active sheet. I saved the open book as Book.xlt and Sheet.xlt.
| When I closed and reopened Excel in normal mode the Print all sheets was
| there as the default.
| --
| Don Fritz
|

| "Jim Rech" wrote:
|
| I'm sorry I meant "Excel safe mode".
|
| From Start-Run enter "Excel.exe /s" (no quotes, there is a space before
the
| slash)
|
| --
| Jim
| "Don" wrote in message
| | It has been awhile since I had to go to safe mode. My PC is networked
and
| | the only Safe mode that works is with network options. In safe mode
| | selecting file-print gives you the message "no printer selected".
Going to
| | add printer, you get the message "print spooler not available in safe
| mode".
| | --
| | Don Fritz
| |
| |
| | "Jim Rech" wrote:
| |
| | Strange. I have all my printers available in safe mode.
| |
| | --
| | Jim
| | "Don" wrote in message
| | | In Safe mode, there are no printers available to test. I've
started
| new
| | | workbooks, and old spreedsheets, and all default to print all.
| | | --
| | | Don Fritz
| | |
| | |
| | | "Jim Rech" wrote:
| | |
| | | I don't think I've ever seen Excel default to anything other
than
| | Selected
| | | Sheet(s). Very strange. Does it happen in safe mode?
| | |
| | | --
| | | Jim
| | workbook".
| | didn't
| | |
| | |
| | |
| |
| |
| |

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Don Don is offline

In Safe mode the print default is "active sheet". In normal the print default
is "entire workbook".
--
Don Fritz

"Don" wrote in message
|I opened excel in excel safe mode. The normal defaults were present-3
sheets
| and print active sheet. I saved the open book as Book.xlt and Sheet.xlt.
| When I closed and reopened Excel in normal mode the Print all sheets was
| there as the default.
| --
| Don Fritz
|

| "Jim Rech" wrote:
|
| I'm sorry I meant "Excel safe mode".
|
| From Start-Run enter "Excel.exe /s" (no quotes, there is a space before
the
| slash)
|
| --
| Jim
| "Don" wrote in message
| | It has been awhile since I had to go to safe mode. My PC is networked
and
| | the only Safe mode that works is with network options. In safe mode
| | selecting file-print gives you the message "no printer selected".
Going to
| | add printer, you get the message "print spooler not available in safe
| mode".
| | --
| | Don Fritz
| |
| |
| | "Jim Rech" wrote:
| |
| | Strange. I have all my printers available in safe mode.
| |
| | --
| | Jim
| | "Don" wrote in message
| | | In Safe mode, there are no printers available to test. I've
started
| new
| | | workbooks, and old spreedsheets, and all default to print all.
| | | --
| | | Don Fritz
| | |
| | |
| | | "Jim Rech" wrote:
| | |
| | | I don't think I've ever seen Excel default to anything other
than
| | Selected
| | | Sheet(s). Very strange. Does it happen in safe mode?
| | |
| | | --
| | | Jim
| | workbook".
| | didn't
| | |
| | |
| | |
| |
| |
| |

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Excellent. There is little doubt then that there is an add-in interfering.
In safe mode none will load so that's why you don't have the issue there.
Please uncheck everything in Tools, Add-ins. Also, look in both of your
XLSTART folders for any files and move them elsewhere temporarily (with
Excel closed). (One XLSTART is under the Office install folder and the other
is under Documents and Settings.)

If these things do not help look for Com Add-ins. That item may be in your
Tools menu. If it's not you can add it via View, Toolbars, Customize,
Commands, Tools in the left list, about 60% down in the right. Drag it to
the Tools menu. Then check it

If it's not one of these things I don't know what it could be.
--
Jim
"Don" wrote in message
| In Safe mode the print default is "active sheet". In normal the print
default
| is "entire workbook".
| --
| Don Fritz
|

| "Jim Rech" wrote:
|
| Help me here. Forget about templates. If you start Excel in safe mode
and
| open an existing multi-sheet workbook and open the Print dialog does it
have
| "Active sheet(s)" selected? And if you do the same with Excel not in
safe
| mode does it have "Entire workbook" selected?
|
| --
| Jim
| "Don" wrote in message
| |I opened excel in excel safe mode. The normal defaults were present-3
| sheets
| | and print active sheet. I saved the open book as Book.xlt and
Sheet.xlt.
| | When I closed and reopened Excel in normal mode the Print all sheets
was
| | there as the default.
| | --
| | Don Fritz
| |
| |
| | "Jim Rech" wrote:
| |
| | I'm sorry I meant "Excel safe mode".
| |
| | From Start-Run enter "Excel.exe /s" (no quotes, there is a space
before
| the
| | slash)
| |
| | --
| | Jim
| | "Don" wrote in message
| | | It has been awhile since I had to go to safe mode. My PC is
networked
| and
| | | the only Safe mode that works is with network options. In safe
mode
| | | selecting file-print gives you the message "no printer selected".
| Going to
| | | add printer, you get the message "print spooler not available in
safe
| | mode".
| | | --
| | | Don Fritz
| | |
| | |
| | | "Jim Rech" wrote:
| | |
| | | Strange. I have all my printers available in safe mode.
| | |
| | | --
| | | Jim
| started
| | new
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| than
| | | Selected
| | | |
| | | workbook".
Sheet",
| but it
| | | didn't
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | |
| | |
| | |
| |
| |
| |

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Don Don is offline

I unchecked everthing in tools, add-ins, and one add-in returns (Docudeck PDF).
If this is the add-in that is causing my problem, I will have to live with
it. Removing this add-in would cause more work then leaving it. Thanks for
your insights
--
Don Fritz

"Don" wrote in message
| In Safe mode the print default is "active sheet". In normal the print
default
| is "entire workbook".
| --
| Don Fritz
|

| "Jim Rech" wrote:
|
| Help me here. Forget about templates. If you start Excel in safe mode
and
| open an existing multi-sheet workbook and open the Print dialog does it
have
| "Active sheet(s)" selected? And if you do the same with Excel not in
safe
| mode does it have "Entire workbook" selected?
|
| --
| Jim
| "Don" wrote in message
| |I opened excel in excel safe mode. The normal defaults were present-3
| sheets
| | and print active sheet. I saved the open book as Book.xlt and
Sheet.xlt.
| | When I closed and reopened Excel in normal mode the Print all sheets
was
| | there as the default.
| | --
| | Don Fritz
| |
| |
| | "Jim Rech" wrote:
| |
| | I'm sorry I meant "Excel safe mode".
| |
| | From Start-Run enter "Excel.exe /s" (no quotes, there is a space
before
| the
| | slash)
| |
| | --
| | Jim
| | "Don" wrote in message
| | | It has been awhile since I had to go to safe mode. My PC is
networked
| and
| | | the only Safe mode that works is with network options. In safe
mode
| | | selecting file-print gives you the message "no printer selected".
| Going to
| | | add printer, you get the message "print spooler not available in
safe
| | mode".
| | | --
| | | Don Fritz
| | |
| | |
| | | "Jim Rech" wrote:
| | |
| | | Strange. I have all my printers available in safe mode.
| | |
| | | --
| | | Jim
| started
| | new
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| than
| | | Selected
| | | |
| | | workbook".
Sheet",
| but it
| | | didn't
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | |
| | |
| | |
| |
| |
| |

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Don Don is offline

Read all replies to my post, and you will probably discover that an add-in is
causing your problem. So the answer for those that want to print all sheets
may to add an add-in?
--
Don Fritz

"Don" wrote in message
| My version of Excel 2003 has a print default of "Print entire workbook".
| tried to create Book.xlt and Sheet.xlt with "Active Sheet", but it didn't
| work.
| Don Fritz

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

jim! Thanks m8!

I was searching for a while before I came across this post. You were
exactly right in my case. i removed the add-on and after that it was
defaulting to active worksheets again.

Best regards,
Brent