Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Why does it clear my clipboard?

If I have text in my clipboard, and I open up Excel (either to paste it into
Excel or to check numbers ofr something else), Excel clears out my clipboard.
Why does it do this, and how can I make it stop? It's extremely inconvenient
and annoying.

Is this Microsoft's way of telling me to never ever close Excel?

(For the record, I'm using Excel 2002 in WinXP Professional)
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Best way I can explain it is this. Office has it's own clipboard, that's
what Excel uses. If third party applications/add-ins are used the
Windows clipboard contents doesn't always get transferred to the Office
clipboard. So you have the option of removing the offending
application/addin, OR keeping an Office application always open to have
the Office clipboard always the target of the "copy".

Jessica P wrote:

If I have text in my clipboard, and I open up Excel (either to paste it into
Excel or to check numbers ofr something else), Excel clears out my clipboard.
Why does it do this, and how can I make it stop? It's extremely inconvenient
and annoying.

Is this Microsoft's way of telling me to never ever close Excel?

(For the record, I'm using Excel 2002 in WinXP Professional)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

That would explain it, but it even does it if I copy something from Outlook.
WHy wouldn't Outlook use the same Office clipboard?

And I still think it's stupid. Why does Office need it's own special
clipboard that overrules and clears out anything from any other program? Pfft.

Jessica P wrote:

If I have text in my clipboard, and I open up Excel (either to paste it into
Excel or to check numbers ofr something else), Excel clears out my clipboard.
Why does it do this, and how can I make it stop? It's extremely inconvenient
and annoying.

Is this Microsoft's way of telling me to never ever close Excel?

(For the record, I'm using Excel 2002 in WinXP Professional)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Office clipboard provides considerably more utility than the Windows "1
shot" clipboard, meshes nicely with it, and doesn't "clear out
anything". So, it wouldn't be broken if there wasn't something you've
installed that is breaking it. Determine the defective 3rd party
add-in(in Excel), and remove it. Clipboard will once again work properly
as designed, end of issue.

Jessica P wrote:

If I have text in my clipboard, and I open up Excel (either to paste it into
Excel or to check numbers ofr something else), Excel clears out my clipboard.
Why does it do this, and how can I make it stop? It's extremely inconvenient
and annoying.

Is this Microsoft's way of telling me to never ever close Excel?

(For the record, I'm using Excel 2002 in WinXP Professional)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It's a business compute, so we don't have a lot of third-party stuff, and I
don't have admin priviledges, but I'll have our computer guys look at it next
time they do maintenance. Thanks for your help.