Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default how do I get time entered automatically in A1 if B1 has text

I'm creating a log sheet that will have entries every few minutes in the
second cell or column B. I need the time to be automatically entered in A
each time. Is this possible? I've tried several formulas with no luck. The
closest formula that I can get is =IF(B1=1, "NOW()") however this will return
an error. If this were to work then a 1 would have to be entered in B1. I
tried using a wildcard with no luck also.
Time taken from the computer clock is entered as =NOW()
Please help if you can
Thanks
Tim

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

=IF(B1=1, "NOW()") does not return an error in Excel 2007, it returns the
words "NOW()" if B1 is equal to 1 and FALSE if B1 is not equal to 1. Just
as the formula specifies. Quotes make a difference. Did you want the formula
to return the date and time of day as in NOW() or did you want the literal
"NOW()". If you want the date and time of day, then =IF(B1=1, NOW()) If B1
is equal to 1 you get the date and time and if not equal to 1, the formula
returns FALSE. If you want 0 then perhaps =IF(B1=1, NOW(),0)

Tyro

"Sergeant Henderson USAF" <Sergeant Henderson
wrote in message
I'm creating a log sheet that will have entries every few minutes in the
second cell or column B. I need the time to be automatically entered in A
each time. Is this possible? I've tried several formulas with no luck. The
closest formula that I can get is =IF(B1=1, "NOW()") however this will
return
an error. If this were to work then a 1 would have to be entered in B1. I
tried using a wildcard with no luck also.
Time taken from the computer clock is entered as =NOW()
Please help if you can
Thanks
Tim

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you want that time to be static, then you can't use a formula.

=now() will update whenever excel recalcs.

But you could use a macro.

In fact, JE McGimpsey has ready for you:

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Tyro,
You are correct and that formula did work. Is there any way to make it a
variable or wildcard. In other words - if B1 has anything at all in it - can
A1 display the date and time?
Thanks
Tim

wrote in message
I'm creating a log sheet that will have entries every few minutes in the
second cell or column B. I need the time to be automatically entered in A
each time. Is this possible? I've tried several formulas with no luck. The
closest formula that I can get is =IF(B1=1, "NOW()") however this will
return
an error. If this were to work then a 1 would have to be entered in B1. I
tried using a wildcard with no luck also.
Time taken from the computer clock is entered as =NOW()
Please help if you can
Thanks
Tim

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

wrote in message
I'm creating a log sheet that will have entries every few minutes in the
second cell or column B. I need the time to be automatically entered in A
each time. Is this possible? I've tried several formulas with no luck. The
closest formula that I can get is =IF(B1=1, "NOW()") however this will
return
an error. If this were to work then a 1 would have to be entered in B1.. I
tried using a wildcard with no luck also.
Time taken from the computer clock is entered as =NOW()
Please help if you can
Thanks
Tim- Hide quoted text -

If any value or text existing in B1, A1 displays the date & time
=IF(B10,NOW()," ")

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Suggested reading. John Walkenbach's Excel Bible books, $40.
Http:/j-walk.com/ss

Tyro