Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default how do i set up date alarms/alerts

I would like to set an alarm/alert that would let me know when a policy date
has expired. It would have to scan/check all the dates in the expiration
column. The dates are shown as 3/7/2008 not 35268. I am running Office
2003 sp2.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Excel dates are stored as numbers. March 7, 2008 is day 39514. Day 35268 is
July 22, 1996. Please explain what you want with a couple of examples.
Are the policies expired if their dates are less than today's date?
Tyro

"fuchsiahop" wrote in message
I would like to set an alarm/alert that would let me know when a policy
date
has expired. It would have to scan/check all the dates in the expiration
column. The dates are shown as 3/7/2008 not 35268. I am running Office
2003 sp2.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

sounds like all you need is a conditional format, cell value is/less than/
now() turn the cell red or whatever... If you are basing it on the day, and
don't want it to change color until the day after, change the now() to
roundup(now())
This will check against tomorrow's date.

"fuchsiahop" wrote:

I would like to set an alarm/alert that would let me know when a policy date
has expired. It would have to scan/check all the dates in the expiration
column. The dates are shown as 3/7/2008 not 35268. I am running Office
2003 sp2.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I would use Conditional Formatting to highlight the dates when they reach a
certain point.

Assuming column of dates is column A.

Select the range of dates.

FormatConditional FormattingFormula is:

=$A1=TODAY()

Format to a nice color and OK your way out.

Note: any text cells will also be colored. If a chance of text being in the
column use this.

=IF(AND(ISNUMBER(A1)),A1=TODAY())

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP