Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Use auto filter in a protected worksheet

I am using excel 2007, I set up the auto filter and it works fine. I protect
the worksheet and I selected the "Use auto filter" option. Then the auto
filter does not work. What am I doing wrong?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Strange, works here.

--
Jim
"James" wrote in message
|I am using excel 2007, I set up the auto filter and it works fine. I
protect
| the worksheet and I selected the "Use auto filter" option. Then the auto
| filter does not work. What am I doing wrong?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

James, I don't know that you're doing anything wrong. Someone who uses 2007
more than I do will hopefully come along and tell us differently.

But that never worked for me in 2003 and still doesn't work for me in 2007
while the sheet is protected. Not unless everything affected (i.e. all the
cells/rows or entire worksheet) is unlocked, which pretty much does away with
the value added by protecting the sheet. :(

I think most people's solution has been to set up a couple of macros:
1 to unprotect the sheet with a minimum of fuss, along with a second one to
put it back into protected state.

You can create those macros by recording a macro as you go through each
operation (start recording, set protection, stop recording for 1st macro,
start recording again, unprotect, stop recording for 2nd macro).

If your sheet has a password assigned to it, you'll need to edit the macros
recorded to provide the password by adding:
, password:="mysheetpassword"
to the end of the commands that do the protecting/unprotecting. Notice that
the addition starts with a comma and a space. Naturally, change
"mysheetpassword" to whatever your sheet's real password is. If you don't
use a password, don't bother with adding the added command parameter.

Hope this helps some, and I do hope someone comes along with a better answer
for you.

"James" wrote:

I am using excel 2007, I set up the auto filter and it works fine. I protect
the worksheet and I selected the "Use auto filter" option. Then the auto
filter does not work. What am I doing wrong?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Then I'm doing something wrong somewhere also ... not disputing you, just
saying something I'm setting somewhere I must not be setting right. Weird.

"Jim Rech" wrote:

Strange, works here.

--
Jim
"James" wrote in message
|I am using excel 2007, I set up the auto filter and it works fine. I
protect
| the worksheet and I selected the "Use auto filter" option. Then the auto
| filter does not work. What am I doing wrong?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
vom vom is offline

hi james

the answer is quite simple. the default protect sheet does not allow the
use of autofilter.
when you apply protect sheet option and the dialog box opens, scroll down to
the bottom and you will see a
Use Autofilter box, just check this, and you should be ok.

"James" wrote in message
I am using excel 2007, I set up the auto filter and it works fine. I
protect
the worksheet and I selected the "Use auto filter" option. Then the auto
filter does not work. What am I doing wrong?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This worked fine (after 2 hours searching and using macros without success !!)

Thanks a lot !!

Juan L
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Tuesday, April 2, 2013 at 11:43:46 PM UTC+5:30, wrote:
This worked fine (after 2 hours searching and using macros without success !!)

Thanks a lot !!

Juan L

Can you provide solution of above problem. I want to use protect sheet but filttering function active