Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How do I select every 70th cell and put a symbol in it?

I want to have the program select every 70th cell and put a symbol in it.
The population is 685 cells. Can excel do this with out me having to move
and manually select?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

for i=1 to 685 step 70
cells(i,"a")=??
next i

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"cbpfaff" wrote in message
I want to have the program select every 70th cell and put a symbol in it.
The population is 685 cells. Can excel do this with out me having to move
and manually select?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

What is currently in each 70th cell?

Which column?

If using Excel 2007, which row?

Would any data be replaced or would the symbol be appended to existing data?

Would the appending be ahead of existing data or following?

What type of symbol?

A macro could do it easily but to tailor it to your needs, please provide some
more detail.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 16:25:01 -0800, cbpfaff
wrote:

I want to have the program select every 70th cell and put a symbol in it.
The population is 685 cells. Can excel do this with out me having to move
and manually select?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I am not totally following your instructions. What is 'i' and what is 'a'?
Or better yet, can you email me an example?

"Don Guillett" wrote:

for i=1 to 685 step 70
cells(i,"a")=??
next i

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"cbpfaff" wrote in message
I want to have the program select every 70th cell and put a symbol in it.
The population is 685 cells. Can excel do this with out me having to move
and manually select?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

empty cells for the 70th selections. column G. What I have is a selection
of transactions that I want to select every 70th one. I have a population of
685 transactions. The cell with the transaction will not be replaced.

wrote:

I want to have the program select every 70th cell and put a symbol in it.
The population is 685 cells. Can excel do this with out me having to move
and manually select?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi cb,

Put 1 in G70
Then Highlight G1 to G70
Grab the fill handle and drag down to the end of your data,
hold down Ctrl before you let go of the fill handle

Then select all of your data and go to DataFilterAutofilter
On the G dropdown select 1

HTH
Martin

wrote:

I want to have the program select every 70th cell and put a symbol in
it.
The population is 685 cells. Can excel do this with out me having to
move
and manually select?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Every 70th cell is blank in a list of 685 transactions?

Select column G and F5SpecialBlanksOK

With blanks still selected...........InsertSymbol

Find one you like and hit "insert" at lower right.

Close then CTRL + ENTER to copy symbol down in blank cells.

Gord

wrote:

I want to have the program select every 70th cell and put a symbol in it.
The population is 685 cells. Can excel do this with out me having to move
and manually select?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This sounds like a similar problem, and I think a macro is the solution, but
I can't figure out how to write it.
I use excel for a large modeling spreadsheet, where the columns represent
displacement and the rows are time, but it takes several rows to track all of
the events in time. When done, I can select any row and plot those values
and get a visualization of distribution over distance at a fixed time. But
what I really want is to visualize at a fixed distance (a selected column),
how distribution changes with time. To do this, I have to select every 4th
or 5th cell in that column (depending on the particular model version) and
plot those values.
The ideal solution would be a macro where the desired column (distance) is
requested as an input and then the plot is displayed.
I have never worked with macros, so perhaps some general help and a
reference to a tutorial (if one exists) would be the best bet. TIA.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This is macro script to put inside a sub. I can't mail you an example
without your email. Mail me (address below) a workbook along with what you
want and I will return it.

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"cbpfaff" wrote in message
I am not totally following your instructions. What is 'i' and what is 'a'?
Or better yet, can you email me an example?

"Don Guillett" wrote:

for i=1 to 685 step 70
cells(i,"a")=??
next i

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"cbpfaff" wrote in message
I want to have the program select every 70th cell and put a symbol in
it.
The population is 685 cells. Can excel do this with out me having to
move
and manually select?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

You've got responses at your other posting.
--
Max
Singapore