Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Using the @ symbol in a cell

I have a friend at work who was using Excel (2003) and was typing using the @
character for something totally unrelated to an email hyperlink and Excel
turned all of the cells in her spreadsheet using the @ symbol into
hyperlinks. I used replace to get rid of the "@" and turn it into "at", but
it remained a hyperlink. I got rid of the hyperlink by right clicking each
cell and deleting it. Is there someway to get Excel to automatically not
assume you are typing in a hyperlink? Also, I couldn't find a way to choose
all the cells and have the same option of clearing the hyperlink? Any easy
way to do that?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Click TOOLS in the menu and select AUTOCORRECT. In the Autocorrect dialog
box click the AUTOFORMAT AS YOU TYPE tab and remove the check from the
INTERNET AND NETWORK PATHS WITH HYPERLINKS check box.

Just another attempt to be overly helpful by the application...
--
Kevin Backmann

"jknapp1005" wrote:

I have a friend at work who was using Excel (2003) and was typing using the @
character for something totally unrelated to an email hyperlink and Excel
turned all of the cells in her spreadsheet using the @ symbol into
hyperlinks. I used replace to get rid of the "@" and turn it into "at", but
it remained a hyperlink. I got rid of the hyperlink by right clicking each
cell and deleting it. Is there someway to get Excel to automatically not
assume you are typing in a hyperlink? Also, I couldn't find a way to choose
all the cells and have the same option of clearing the hyperlink? Any easy
way to do that?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

go to toolsauto correct optionsautoformat as you type tab and unselect
replace as you type internet and network paths with hyperlink.

this will not remove existing hyperlinks and you can still add a hyperlink
using cell formatting
--
John
MOS Master Instructor Office 2000, 2002 & 2003

Ice Hockey rules (especially the Wightlink Raiders)

"jknapp1005" wrote:

I have a friend at work who was using Excel (2003) and was typing using the @
character for something totally unrelated to an email hyperlink and Excel
turned all of the cells in her spreadsheet using the @ symbol into
hyperlinks. I used replace to get rid of the "@" and turn it into "at", but
it remained a hyperlink. I got rid of the hyperlink by right clicking each
cell and deleting it. Is there someway to get Excel to automatically not
assume you are typing in a hyperlink? Also, I couldn't find a way to choose
all the cells and have the same option of clearing the hyperlink? Any easy
way to do that?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You may find that you generally want the links and that it is easier to
remove the ones you don't want rather than changing your autocorrect options.

Three manual methods of deleting the unwanted hyperlinks
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel...#DelHyperlinks
Ctrl+Z to immediate removal of the link, if you catch it in time
Ctrl+K to edit the hyperlink and remove
copying an empty cell then using Edit, Paste Special, Add on a selection

and with using VBA code
Use of a macro two such macros and more details on the above at
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel...#DelHyperlinks
or someone even suggested you copy or paste into the intermediate window
Selection.Hyperlinks.Delete
--
HTH,
David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP -- Excel