Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default excel formulas

I was asked a question on a test "enter the formula that will show profit"
can someone tell me what that formula should have been (I got it wrong)
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

How would you figure it out with pen and paper?

=gross sales - cost

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 16:32:02 -0800, meri wrote:

I was asked a question on a test "enter the formula that will show profit"
can someone tell me what that formula should have been (I got it wrong)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Was there no specific scenario assumed?

Price minus cost yields profit.
Price in A1
Cost in B1
Profit in C1 by using a formula of:

=A1-B1

There has to be more to it then what you're stating!

RD

"meri" wrote in message
I was asked a question on a test "enter the formula that will show profit"
can someone tell me what that formula should have been (I got it wrong)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

There probably was more. It showed a range and said enter formula that will
show total profit. The formulas are driving me crazy. I am new to Excel and
all the new job apps require excel tests. The Excel for dummies book is
confusing. Thanks so much for helping.

"meri" wrote in message
I was asked a question on a test "enter the formula that will show profit"
can someone tell me what that formula should have been (I got it wrong)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Since things like formulas are confusing, perhaps a basic tutorial in
Excel would assist.

Here are a few basic tutorials for Excel to get a beginner going.

http://www.usd.edu/trio/tut/excel/index.html

http://www.baycongroup.com/el0.htm

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/tr...831141033.aspx

Gord

"meri" wrote in message
I was asked a question on a test "enter the formula that will show profit"
can someone tell me what that formula should have been (I got it wrong)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

But what was in the "range". It couldn't have shown just "a range". It must
have stated what values were in each cell of the range.

If you repeat the question here, exactly as stated on your test, you will
get a proper answer.

By the way, while you haven't asked for it, my friendly advice is if you are
having trouble with simple concepts like gross profit formulas, you should
look for a job which doesn't require Excel skills.

Regards,
Fred